More threads by Jason

Jason

Reaction score
Hi All,

Does anyone know a way that you can filter your clicks from the Google blended results into pure organic traffic & a click from a Google + Local listing at the top of the blended results. I am referring to a click from the blended results that takes you to the website, not a click directly from the Google + Local profile.

Thanks all.

Hi Jason,

Sorry I don't know of any way to do that. But I'll Tweet this and see if anyone else has any ideas.

If there is anything like that out there I sure would like to get my hands on it! Good question!

I think the only way you can do this is to know (1) which search terms you rank for and (2) which search trigger the organic vs. blended or 7-pack listings to appear. As you know, the same page of your site can't rank organically and in the Google+Local results for the same search term.

So if your Analytics tells you that page X of your site got Y number of clicks for "lawyer in [city]," you'll know whether you got those clicks through organic or through Google+Local rankings. Why? Because either you rank organically for that term or you rank in Google+Local for it - but the same page can't rank both.

Of course, if you have one page that ranks in Google+Local for a given search term and a separate page that ranks organically on the same SERP, then the above approach might get tricky. But I guess that's a good problem to have :)

I think the only way you can do this is to know (1) which search terms you rank for and (2) which search trigger the organic vs. blended or 7-pack listings to appear. As you know, the same page of your site can't rank organically and in the Google+Local results for the same search term.

Well except in the old pack style listings, you can easily rank a double for the same page in organic and local. So guess you were talking about blended.

Screenshots and examples of double ranking in the pack style listings here in case anyone missed it. http://localsearchforum.catalystema...ating-blended-local-results-pack-results.html

Thing that's tricky is unless you are using Scout, which tells you which type of ranking, you don't know. Also Google changes the listing style back and forth quite a bit sometimes, so you might rank a double pack today and tomorrow it's a single blended. (If it's a borderline KW that tends to fluctuate a lot or in a smaller city.)

So it's still kinda hard to track but like Phil said, good problem to have if you know how to rank twice and get a double organic + local) in blended which is also very doable.

I don't understand what you are saying hear Phil. My home page shows on the first page in the organic results and in the 7-pack. So I am not seeing a way to discern clicks to the 7-pack listing.

Hi Stan,

Phil's post above was from over a year ago, in 2013. Back then the way the blended algo worked you would not have separate organic and pack listings like you do now. It only fairly recently changed so you could have a double and be listed in both places.

I have seen local sites that had #1 organic listing and #1 7 pack listing. Both directed to the same main page of the site. Actually just checked and still ranks that way

okay just realized his comment was dated and that isnt the case anymore

@standenman

What Linda said. My post is over a year old.

One nice thing that's changed since then is the Google Places dashboard - at least the "new" one - offers better analytics on how many clicks vs. impressions your Google+ Local page gets. Still not good, but better.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom