More threads by laurie

laurie

Reaction score
Is there a difference between a Google business page and a Google PLus local page?

Hi Laurie,

Yes major differences. Local ranks. G+ doesn't. Local has Reviews. G+ Doesn't.
G+ has social Local doesn't. Unless they are merged then they have all of the above. But we don’t recommend merging yet cuz it's buggy.

I have this explained a bunch of places but rushed for time and can't find a good one. This one is good cuz it has pics and a chart.

Closer Look at Google Local - Local Splash

Thanks for that Linda. I"m still confused though. So G+ local is all business, but a Google plus page can be either personal or business?

Kinda but there's more.

Google+ Local is a LOCAL business.

Google+
Can be a personal G+ page
Or Brand page
Or A Company page that is not local - it's national

OR A Company page that IS local.
That G+ Page if it's local can be separate and only have the social features.
OR can be merged with the Google+ Local page so then it can rank & has both reviews and social.

I know it's really complicated and very confusing...

Wow, the more I ask, the more confused I get! I appreciate you taking the time to explain it.

So...

Google+ local is a local business
Google+ can be a personal or national business page.

But I'm confused as it also being a local business page. Why wouldn't that go under Google+ local?

That's as far as I have gotten right now...

So just talking about local businesses...

Some just care about ranking in Google. Some want reviews. But they don't care about social. They can just stick with what used to be a Google Place page and is now called a Google+ Local page.

Some businesses are into social and want to do posts and circle friends or customers. All the social features are on the G+ Business page.

Then a fairly new thing is the ability to merge both pages into one so you have all the features on one page. That's still a little buggy so some of us don't recommend merging yet. And also many types of businesses don't qualify to merge yet so should not.

That helps, Linda. Thank you. So, a business page allows you to interact socially, while a G+ local does not. Got it. (I think):)

So, another scenario - if you want to rank for regular seo (a national/online company) you would still do a business page but not necessarily have to participate in the social aspect?

Also - one more thing - what kinds of companies do/do not qualify to merge yet?

Thank you SO much!

That helps, Linda. Thank you. So, a business page allows you to interact socially, while a G+ local does not. Got it. (I think):)

Yes, you got that part.

So, another scenario - if you want to rank for regular seo (a national/online company) you would still do a business page but not necessarily have to participate in the social aspect?

No G+ Business pages do not rank in the search results. You could still have a G+ page for branding and just not do posts or build circles. But it does not directly help with SEO or show up in the rankings.

Also - one more thing - what kinds of companies do/do not qualify to merge yet?

Service area businesses like plumbers, carpet cleaners.

Multi-location businesses.

Businesses that have data problems with their G+ Local pages.

More detailed info on the above from Google: http://localsearchforum.catalystema...-pages/444-google-local-merge-faq-google.html

Here is another Google help doc: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/business/tK6133zBZ1Y

Thanks Linda. It's funny, I have just been thinking about all of this today, and then I see this post.:)

The most helpful part was this: If you are still confused, the simple easy answer is that a PURE Google+ Local page (the one that used to be called Place page) ONLY has a review button. The G+ Business page only has a Follow button, no review button. And a merge or verified G+ L page has BOTH!

I need things broken down into very simple terms!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom