More threads by Travis Van Slooten

Solutions
Reaction score
As I'm sure you all know, the centroid is not considered the center of the city. Instead, it is the center of what Google thinks is the "center of your industry."

My question is this...does anyone know of a way to determine what the centroid is for your client's industry? If I'm working with a dentist in San Francisco, for example, how do I determine if my client is in the centroid or not? Is there an easy way to check this?

Travis

I'm going to answer my own question, but if I'm wrong, I would like someone to jump in and correct me.:p

So I found this thread:
http://localsearchforum.catalystema...e-local-centroid-not-city-center-affects.html

That is a quick and easy way to eye ball it but I think there is a better way to determine just how close your client is to the centroid.

You look at the map that shows up in the search results and you make note of the addresses of the outlying listings shown on the map:
06.10.2014-15.27 - tvanslooten's library

You then open up Google Maps and plug those addresses in and get directions to them from your client's business location. This will give you a better visual where the business is from the outlying listings in the centroid.

You can also get directions from the business location to the most centered listing in the centroid to see how far from the center the business is.

It's still not perfect but I think it gives you a better idea of how close the business is to the centroid than just eye balling it.

Travis

Re: How Do You Determine the "Centroid"?

That is a quick and easy way to eye ball it but I think there is a better way to determine just how close your client is to the centroid.

You look at the map that shows up in the search results and you make note of the addresses of the outlying listings shown on the map:
06.10.2014-15.27 - tvanslooten's library

You then open up Google Maps and plug those addresses in and get directions to them from your client's business location. This will give you a better visual where the business is from the outlying listings in the centroid.

You can also get directions from the business location to the most centered listing in the centroid to see how far from the center the business is.

It's still not perfect but I think it gives you a better idea of how close the business is to the centroid than just eye balling it.

Travis

I like it :)

---------- Post Merged at 05:52 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 05:51 PM ----------

We used to do a similar process with the city centroid. We would do a search for the city and then get directions from our clients location to the city center and note the number of km or miles.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom