More threads by Eric Rohrback

Moved to the tools forum, just realized this was posted in Local Search.

SEO MOZ is probably a good tool for a New business which is trying to create and distribute its data (NAP) around directories. I have not seen any reviews on this tool, and in my opinion it lacks a lot of features. IN the other hand it still has its bugs, for instance, It might show business has listings in axciom, foursquare, yellow pages, etc.. but then it fails to show the YELP, instead its says data is not available, or fix the problem.

I have cleaned most wrong citations of a company i am working for but there is not improvement in the Local, as a matter of fact i can see fake businesses, businesses with wrong citations get a higher position. :rolleyes:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Moz local can distribute your data to the big 4, but if there's a duplicate or incorrect listing, you still gotta take care of that.

Plus, as appropriate, you still gotta take care of the phone verification, right?

You do have to deal with duplicates on your own, that is true.

I don't believe there's any phone verification for the sites Moz Local distributes to.

---------- Post Merged at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:45 PM ----------

SEO MOZ is probably a good tool for a New business which is trying to create and distribute its data (NAP) around directories. I have not seen any reviews on this tool, and in my opinion it lacks a lot of features. IN the other hand it still has its bugs, for instance, It might show business has listings in axciom, foursquare, yellow pages, etc.. but then it fails to show the YELP, instead its says data is not available, or fix the problem.

I have cleaned most wrong citations of a company i am working for but there is not improvement in the Local, as a matter of fact i can see fake businesses, businesses with wrong citations get a higher position. :rolleyes:

All of our clients go through Moz Local. The 3 main data aggregators (4 I guess if you count new-player Factual) are very important for NAP consistency. Plus, you get pushes to the local search directories they serve, local search directories that don't have any other way to submit to listings.

Moz Local is not a competitor with Yext. It serves a different function.

But you bring up a good point about the features and I hope there are more in the works. You should let them know the features you would like, although I don't know where you would do that.

That's right Joshua. No phone verifications when using MozLocal.

You do have to deal with duplicates on your own, that is true.

I don't believe there's any phone verification for the sites Moz Local distributes to.

---------- Post Merged at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:45 PM ----------

All of our clients go through Moz Local. The 3 main data aggregators (4 I guess if you count new-player Factual) are very important for NAP consistency. Plus, you get pushes to the local search directories they serve, local search directories that don't have any other way to submit to listings.

Moz Local is not a competitor with Yext. It serves a different function.

But you bring up a good point about the features and I hope there are more in the works. You should let them know the features you would like, although I don't know where you would do that.

Factual is not a new player, was there long time ago but somehow was not active. I still dont have any idea what MOZ Local is trying to advertise or help with, to me if someone hires The SEO guy should be able to submit the data to the aggregators without using MOZ. I would not use SEO MOZ, it is just waste of money, and that is my idea for now, hopefully i will change it later On=)) The whole idea of local SEO is to spend time submitting the business to the directories manually, a big portion of it.

I wish Moz was a competitor, as with Yext all the efforts goes down to the drain after you cancel your subscription. The biggest controversy here is " Does it help your ranking when you have a subscription with YEXT?" it is unknown to me.

Will add one other thing, each directory gets a traffic and probably visitors somehow, so it is the best idea to submit unique info to each of them, rather having YEXT or SEOMOZ do it automatically. I like to keep it old school and it works=))

What do you mean Colan? I helped a client through phone verifying with Axciom today.

Are you saying if I use Moz Local, then I won't have to do a phone verifiacation? That requirement will be 'waived'?

I know Express Update is a phone verification too, does using Moz Local bypass that requirement?

Hi Tyson, yes exactly. Moz has a relationship with the data aggregators. So part of the value of using Moz Local is that you can get your clients on the aggregators without the phone verifications.

I've been a paid member ($2 per month) for a month or two after first learning about it here. I've done a few trial orders for fixing bad NAP or merging duplicate listings. So far, I'd say the jury is still out because the results aren't yet showing up.

I'd say it's less likely than more likely to work out, though. Its analysis of our citations and whether or not our sites have citations aren't very accurate.

In all fairness, no tool is going to find all your existing citations. Even google has a hard time crawling some of these citation sites.

Bright Local does a better job of finding them but it is far more expensive.

This is a very simple tool. I started using it the last few weeks. I created two accounts. One for my legal customers who pay well. It cost me $10 per month and includes rank monitoring and review monitoring. I also submit fixes to them for 1.50 each. They let me choose the username, email and password for citation accounts and it checks 189 sites.

The other account that I set up is free. Rankings only includes 3 keywords per location. It lets me quickly see if there are any problems with the citations that they find. Free version only scans 50 sites instead of 189.

Very good value and lets you quickly see if there are problems on the directory sites.

Well worth the 5 minutes to test out the free version.

I'm looking into using Synup to supplement the other tools, not replace them per se. At the end of the day manual citation building has to be a part of the process. None of the tools you use are going to know a local landscape the same as a human...right?

I dunno. I think if you're looking for a tool that is going to do 100 percent of the work, then you haven't been paying attention to SEO lately. We CANT automate everything, lest it be penalized. At some point we have to craft and care by hand no?

So nobody seems to be addressing a major issue with these tools... and I for one would like more info.

When you use their services, they own the listings. If you end your agreement with them, your listings revert to the pre-service state. This can cause significant loss of traffic, right?

Does anyone have a list of the local tools that includes who owns the listings and who has a right to revert them if you leave?

Directories allow others to control them for a fee. If are enrolled in a service like Yext, you are paying 30-60 dollars per month per location. That isn't an insignificant amount and you should be aware of it.

When we take on clients, we always make sure to get all logins.

You can also go to Yahoo local, they will show which service controls it.

So nobody seems to be addressing a major issue with these tools... and I for one would like more info.

When you use their services, they own the listings. If you end your agreement with them, your listings revert to the pre-service state. This can cause significant loss of traffic, right?

Does anyone have a list of the local tools that includes who owns the listings and who has a right to revert them if you leave?

Synup is okay. It's certainly the cheapest of the major players and they give you the logon info so you essentially own the listing as you should.

However, their scans didn't find many of the listings that I know to be there as I've tracked them. And it didn't find all the duplicates when there are duplicates (different combination of words but the same business).

Perfect no. Useful yes. Just another tool in the toolbox.

I opted to just manually track/claim and fix my local entries. It's tedious and time consuming but it's billable and the client owns each listing.

Loved the idea of Yext/Moz but didn't like the idea that my info would revert if the client failed to re-subscribe.

At this point, I just use the free scans and various tools to find any other entries (including just searching Google) and if the directory is big enough, I'll claim it, otherwise I'll just ignore and move on. Some you can't even claim as they get feeds from feeds.

Been a while since the last post here sorry for the thread bump.

The newer version of Synup seems to have tackled the duplicate listings/finding all the listings much better now. Much more accurate - and a seemingly constantly improving tool. For bang for the buck this blows Yext and others out of the water.

Cannon, I'm wondering how this worked for you? Were you happy with the results?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom