More threads by Linda Buquet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
There have been 2 big changes in Google Local the past few days.

1) There was a big algo change I started noticing on Friday. Lots of folks are now talking about it and several of us are trying to figure it out.

2) Places search is gone. I'll try to do a separate post about that because it's causing lots of issues and I'm talking to developers that do local rank tracking, that are having to reprogram because this update broke their tools. (MORE SOON!)

This post is about the algo update. ARE YOU SEEING RANKING CHANGES?

Here is Michael Borgelt's Local Weather Report which confirms a big shift in rankings.

weatherreport.jpg

I'm totally swamped today and right now am trying to watch Google I/O live streaming, so will just give you my brief thoughts then share other posts where this is being discussed. Then below let's put our head's together to try to figure it out.

The local algo shakeup I'm seeing has what I would call some bad blends. Where crap is getting into the pack that never ranked in the pack before. So it's knocking good listings and the regulars in the pack down and sometimes out...

One thing I'm seeing a lot with Dentist and Chiropractor listings, is a Dr listing taking over the pack even though the practice has a ton more citations, reviews and everything going for it. Sure that happens sometimes for various reasons I can usually pinpoint. But in these cases I'm not seeing a rhyme or reason.

Here is one G+ post I was involved in where we have been discussing.
<!-- Place this tag in your head or just before your close body tag. --><script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script>
<!-- Place this tag where you want the widget to render. --><div class="g-post" data-href="https://plus.google.com/109039921564790738511/posts/cEBQEvmqVuP"></div>​

Initially Gene talks about 800# but click comments to expand and you'll see Joy and I talking about the other algo changes we've been seeing.

So far most of the chatter I'm hearing is negative, with lots of bad results getting in the pack.

If I have time later I'll share some screen shots and more commentary so stay tuned for more.

What are you seeing?
Any big ranking shifts?

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="See the Local Search Weather Report confirming my thought that a ranking algo update is under way">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

weatherreport.jpg

Yep, we're scrambling with our local rank tracker. Ugh.

Traveling today, so can't look into the algo update. Will have to catch up next week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We're so busy with the rank tracking that we haven't even checked to see how many clients were affected by the algo change yet. So far 1 with super positive movement (page 10 to page 1 and F in the maps). We had removed spammy categories 3 weeks ago though, so I doubt it's algo-change related and more update related

One thing I did notice though, that may be relevent is that a bunch of the pending edits I had in MapMaker came back with the generic msg:
Thank you for your suggestion. Upon reviewing your suggested change, we have decided not to apply your suggested change to Property Guide Toronto Condos for Sale Rent at this time, as we found the existing details to be more appropriate.

Thanks for your help,
The Google Maps team

I'm wondering if crap is getting into the 7 pack because they re-set maps edits again? Just a WAG-- but if you were following my Toronto Condo spam thread, you know this one had CLEAR violations.

We're so busy with the rank tracking that we haven't even checked to see how many clients were affected by the algo change yet. So far 1 with super positive movement (page 10 to page 1 and F in the maps). We had removed spammy categories 3 weeks ago though, so I doubt it's algo-change related and more update related

One thing I did notice though, that may be relevent is that a bunch of the pending edits I had in MapMaker came back with the generic msg:

"Thank you for your suggestion. Upon reviewing your suggested change, we have decided not to apply your suggested change to Property Guide Toronto Condos for Sale Rent at this time, as we found the existing details to be more appropriate."

I'm wondering if crap is getting into the 7 pack because they re-set maps edits again? Just a WAG-- but if you were following my Toronto Condo spam thread, you know this one had CLEAR violations.

Kate I got that exact same message! I could not remember why I even reported that one, I've been flying around so many places. Thought it was a post at the G forum. :-(

But ya, right, that name is not spammy? "Property Guide Toronto Condos for Sale Rent".
That's not their name at all!

OK here is the other post about the rank tracking problems and the
death of our little local penalty hack! :(

<a href="http://localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com/google-local/19547-rip-places-search-causing-google-local-rank.html">RIP Places Search - Causing Google Local Rank Tracking Problems - New Google Update</a>

I have a sneaking suspicion that maps reset and negatively affected some of the better optimized places.

A couple of attorney listings that I remember ranking well had their suite # / floor #'s removed from Map Maker and Places listing. Is anyone seeing a similar trend here?

Joy did bring up the fact that it looks like strong organic results are doing better in local now, but I'm just not seeing that. (at least for attorneys)

Gene,

Do you have a query that I can look at and any insight as to which listings popped in or out of the pack?

If you are looking for an example I have one.

Chiropractor Littleton

Our guy ranks #1 organic and was A in the pack for the longest time. We have changed nothing and 3 weeks ago he vanished from the pack, not dropped but vanished.

After calling Google to see if I could get anything out of them, they came back with everything looks clean it must be a glitch.

Hi ridgerunner,

Welcome! I lived in GB for many years. Went to high school there and my family still lives in the area. Appleton and Sturgeon Bay.

Support often does not know as much as we do. I mean they know how to fix tech issues but they don't know best practices and won't even comment on anything to do with ranking. They also won't tell you if you'd violated an unwritten rule and often don't even know what they are.

NORMALLY (almost always) if a listing ranks #1 in organic but drops out of the pack there is a problem on the maps side of the house. AND there are a variety of problems it could be, so would be guessing in the dark without seeing the listing and the site. But I can almost always figure out what caused the drop.

If you'd like help with that client you can post all the details down in the help and support forum but be advised, we can't control who's reading a public forum and 3rd world scammers have been known to call to try to poach clients that are posted here or the Google forum or on Google+ Communities.

Hey small world, thanks for the fast response, I will take a look at the help & support section. I was not looking for free help I just thought you were looking for an example to prove a theory.

I did also contact you about your other services and look forward to the response.

I have been looking for a place where I can get help and also offer help whenever possible, this looks like the place.

Thanks, you gals rock.

Sorry didn't mean to imply you were looking for free help. We often have folks jump into a discussion and say "hey have this client with XYZ problem" and then they continue to post about that client's issues and it takes the main thread off topic.

So thanks for contributing that! We appreciate it. Was just letting you know, since you are new that we do offer help on ranking problems if you need it, but that would be down in the help section.

I used to work with Chiros too before I retired from client-side work. I'm also a lifetime Chiro patient and love that industry. So I have to say you picked a great niche!

Hello there,

I've been following this forum for a while and decided to register so I can express my frustration around some things, related to this thread, lol.

So, yes, to answer to the title - I did see changes in the UK for some queries, not only changes in the rankings, but also the quality of the listings that now surfaced in the pack.

I think this will be curious for you to see. I've a client who does removals in London, UK. The listing is young, citations are being built, so we're nowhere near 1st page, yet.
Anyhow, I've been checking the rankings for the search term "removals london" and have noticed weird things. Here's the link to the search https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=removals+london

What is in position A that you see? For a couple of weeks I see a company called Fast Removals there. I made a research for them and what I found was weird.

They only have 2 reviews on their listing, there are duplicates when searching their phone on Maps http://goo.gl/maps/vuHpA and if you check their citations they are SO inconsistent - multiple duplicates on dirs, different business names and addresses, etc.

Yet they are number one.

And I ask myself questions about the rest in the pack. Four out of 7 have their addresses shown on Maps when you expect it to be hidden having in mind the nature of the business - removals service, where you go to clients locations and pick up their garbage. While some may have store fronts, I've broswed the Street View of others that do not have, yet they don't get suspended (this is to link to the thread started by Phil Rozek).

I'm not asking for help with ranking my client, but just want to hear your thoughts on this matter.

Sorry for the long post, but these are things that bother me and I think they will also bother you when you think about it...

Regards,
George

=======================================

Edit by Linda: So sorry George, had to close this thread. There is a MAJOR algo update that just hit, so I don't want people to start posting in this old thread and the new one because it splits the convo and gets confusing.

Please don't post in that new thread because your post is not related to this new update since it has not hit UK yet.

Please start a new thread with appropriate title. You can just copy this one to the new one.

Thanks for understanding...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom