More threads by Jason

Jason

Reaction score
I noticed that Google has a disclaimer that local businesses should not use a logo for their profile picture.

I manage businesses with 500 plus locations and I have really no other option than to use their logo. I have been trying to get storefront photos of each location for some time but that is no easy task.

Will I be penalized if I use the logo for a franchise type business? Any other ideas?

Jason, Google has never really liked logos.

But can you tell me or give a screen shot of where you are seeing that messaging?

I manage businesses with 500 plus locations...

You have my deepest condolences. :p

Hi Jason, using a logo as the profile image is not against Google's guidelines. The problem with using a logo as the profile photo is that Google may choose to algorithmically display a different photo in things like the Carousel Display and the Local Knowledge Graph.

https://support.google.com/business/answer/3060029?hl=en&ref_topic=4540086

• Represent the real-world business location. Google may choose to favor real-world photos over logos or stock images

---------- Post Merged at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:30 PM ----------

Thanks for the feedback. You can see them state "Note: Local businesses should not set logos as profile photos."

https://support.google.com/business/answer/4791112?hl=en

I understand how store front photos that works best for most businesses but that is totally out of the question for me. I just don't want to get dinged with a penalty. If they just prefer that I don't do it, well then, guess I'm going to go it anyway!

Oh good to know Jason. Thanks for the link.

They come right out and say it. Usually when then do that instead of hinting, it's pretty important.

But I can't imagine you'd get a penalty.

My guess (and only a guess) is they have lots of spammy listings doing a graphic that says "10% off". Or "Best Dog Walker in Dallas". So they are more like spammy ads instead of a logo. Or maybe their automatic photo detection software has a hard time with graphics and can read photos better or something?

Another photo? I only see the map?

Last week it was the big A photo. Is that what you see?

I just see a map now in both FF and Chrome.

That's the one, yes.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom