More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
Schema is a hot topic 'round these parts and you know how much I love Phil's posts! So wanted to share this one with the troops.

<a href="http://www.localvisibilitysystem.com/2014/06/30/how-to-pick-or-improvise-the-right-schema-org-markup-for-your-local-business/">How to Pick (or Improvise) the Right Schema.org Markup for Your Local Business | LocalVisibilitySystem.com</a>

The idea is it helps you tell search engines exactly what a specific piece of content on your site is. For example, you’d use different Schema if you want to announce, “Here’s my business’s name, address, and phone number,” or “Here’s a customer testimonial, or “Look – a video.”

Some SEOs say Schema in general makes a big difference for your rankings. I’m not one of them; I suspect it can help a little. So let’s assume it helps a little.

What I always say in my advanced training is that if you get get Google Bing, and Yahoo to agree on anything, it's a pretty big deal! LOL :p

I don't think it directly boosts ranking. You could add schema tomorrow and if that's all you did differently I don't think you would move.

But I teach 8 different ways to increase location trust. One of them is proper use of Schema.
I call those location trust builders "Local Hooks". And the more you can increase trust that:

A) This is a real business. B) It's really located here. C) It's really in this industry - then the more relevant it becomes to the query.

As I always say "Find out what she likes and feed it to her!"
She likes schema! :)

UPDATE 7/24: SEE Post #9 Below. Great new follow up post at Phil's...
"Local Business Schema.org Q&A: Tough Questions for David Deering"

What do you think???
<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="Schema is a hot topic 'round these parts and you know how much I love Phil's posts">
<meta property="og:image" content="http://www.localvisibilitysystem.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/bill-nye.jpg">

re: Advanced Tips for Getting Local Schema Markup Right! By Phil Rozek & David Deering

I agree with you and Phil both, in that simply adding structured data markup won't automatically move the needle when it comes to rankings (although there are some studies that found that it does make a difference). The real value of structured data is that is helps search engines understand the content much better. It helps them understand exactly what kind of business it is and exactly what services and products the business offers. That can make a difference in the SERPs when it comes to targeted searches. And as you said, Linda, feed Google what she loves, and she and Bing and Yahoo all love structured data.

re: Advanced Tips for Getting Local Schema Markup Right! By Phil Rozek & David Deering

What's great about using Schema mark ups is the Rich Snippets it produces on the results pages. We have seen improvements in rankings from some of the optimizations we have done. The high CTR's because of the rich snippets makes it a potent tactic.

is there a services Schema Markup? i never seen that option before ?

Yes, there are schemas that can be used for services. You can use schema.org/ProfessionalService if you're marking up a business such as a tax consultant or a graphic designer. If you want to mark up the particular services that a business offers, you would use the Offer markup along with schema.org/Product and specify the service within the product markup. Schema.org/Product can be used for products and services, tangible and intangible "products".

i use a plug in so that prob why i never seen that
thanks for the info

Ah, I see. Yeah, plugins are nice, but you can only do so much with them, unfortunately.

you would use the Offer markup along with schema.org/Product and specify the service within the product markup. Schema.org/Product can be used for products and services, tangible and intangible "products". <---- learn something new did not know that,, thanks

re: Advanced Tips for Getting Local Schema Markup Right! Phil Rozek & David Deering

WOWSER! read all the comments that have been posted at the original post for deeper insights and tons of great answers.

Great new follow up post at Phil's...

<a href="http://www.localvisibilitysystem.com/2014/07/23/local-business-schema-org-qa-tough-questions-for-david-deering/">Local Business Schema.org Q&A: Tough Questions for David Deering</a>
(Just a snippet - so click the link to read full post.)

If you’ve wrestled with local SEO for more than a few days, you probably know what Schema.org markup is. (And if you don’t, read this and this and loop back here.)

You probably have questions about how to use Schema on your site. Me too. That’s why I’ve turned again to structured-data ace David Deering of Touch Point Digital Marketing for answers.

As you might recall, he’s the guy who brought the insights to my recent post on Schema. In fact, it was his answers in the comments on that post that reminded me how many questions I and other people still have. (By the way, I suggest you read that post first, if you haven’t already.)

Jam packed to the brim with great info. Head over to read!

What do you think???

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom