More threads by Rich Owings

Rich Owings

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Reaction score
This is a strange. When searching for the business name (Haywood Park Hotel -- you may need to add Asheville, NC), it brings up the correct result and Google+ page, but has the wrong name (Battery Park Hotel) in the knowledge panel and pulls a Wikipedia quote about that nearby building. But if you click reviews in the knowledge panel, you get taken to a list of reviews under the proper name!

Yesterday morning I used the Feedback link in the knowledge panel to inform Google. I would love to report it in Map Maker but can find no incorrect listing there. Any idea what is going on? Screenshot below...

Battery-Park-screenshot.png

Battery-Park-screenshot.png

Weird. Google is pulling that info from Wikipedia which is an old hotel turned Apartments. The address of Haywood Park Hotel is on Battery Park Ave, so Google is confused on this. Thinking Mr. Local Algo had a little to much Tequilla last night.

This is still going on. Client has called Google local support three times and each time was told to report it via the feedback link in the knowledge panel, which they have done. And FWIW, this was happening pre-Pigeon.

Any suggestions as to what to do next?

I just found this response in the client's email. Here's the kicker: "Its contents are automatically generated by algorithms and it's not something that we can influence or control." Google has no control over their algorithms. Or shall we say their algorithms are out of control? Just what I needed for a good end of the week laugh! Here's the text of the email:

"Thank you for contacting Google Places for Business support about the information you saw appear on the right side of Google Search results.

The information you're seeing is actually called Knowledge Graph and isn't in the scope of what we support (Google actually doesn't provide support for this feature). Its contents are automatically generated by algorithms and it's not something that we can influence or control. That said, I'm happy to provide you with more resources on this topic so that you can look into it a bit further. Check out these links below:

More information about the Knowledge Graph: https://support.google.com/websearch/answer/2620861

More about Google Search and our algorithms: How Search Works - The Story ? Inside Search ? Google

I hope you find that information useful!"

Algos out of control - think you summed up quite a few changes with just four simple words :rolleyes: * sigh *

Thinking Mr. Local Algo had a little to much Tequilla last night.

Big LOL Justin!

I just found this response in the client's email. Here's the kicker: "Its contents are automatically generated by algorithms and it's not something that we can influence or control." Google has no control over their algorithms. Or shall we say their algorithms are out of control? Just what I needed for a good end of the week laugh! Here's the text of the email:

"Thank you for contacting Google Places for Business support about the information you saw appear on the right side of Google Search results.

The information you're seeing is actually called Knowledge Graph and isn't in the scope of what we support (Google actually doesn't provide support for this feature). Its contents are automatically generated by algorithms and it's not something that we can influence or control. That said, I'm happy to provide you with more resources on this topic so that you can look into it a bit further.

Rich I was just coming to tell you basically the same thing support told you. Google Local support can't help with it because the issue is algo controlled AND it's on the organic search side of the house. Google Local support can only help if there is something wrong on the listing.

But this is a problem with the matching algo that pairs up the data to show in the Knowledge Graph.

So that's why they keep saying to report it using the feedback feature, which is not direct support or a fix, just gives the quality team feedback. Maybe if a bunch of folks here and your friends/co-workers all report it, it will get their attention?

I just reported for you.

Saved my report so you guys that want to help can just quickly cut and paste it. Characters are limited so this will save you having to manipulate to get it to fit.

"Searched for Haywood Park Hotel Asheville. Knowledge Panel is wrong. Shows Battery Park Hotel."

Just for kicks I thought I'd check to see if it was fixed.

In doing so I found a funky little thing with the KG.

Using google.com
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...v=2&ie=UTF-8#q=haywood park hotel ashevill tn
gives a slightly different KG than does
https://www.google.com/webhp?source...=2&ie=UTF-8#q=haywood+park+hotel+asheville+tn

only difference is a slight misspelling to ashville in the search
Yet one search shows the "see photos", one doesn't. Info in KG is same.

doing same searches from google.com.au gives me the full KG with images for both.

Teensy glitch in there somewhere...

---------- Post Merged at 07:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:43 PM ----------

No idea what it means, just thought it was a bit funky

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom