More threads by zurron

zurron

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Great forum you got started here. Some very helpful information going round.

I have a question that I just can't seem to find a definitive answer on; local rankings for franchises.

Now, we are in Australia so Google rolls out local updates a little slower than over there :)
Some of your business listing/directory websites don't exist here.

A few more specific questions (assume 30+ franchise locations):

1. Google Maps; should the individual listings be all named the same or with their suburb. E.g. "Brandname", "Brandname" OR "Brandname Suburb 1", "Brandname Suburb 2" etc. I think the first one is best practice as the second option is basically keyword stuffing.

2. If the franchise is 'mobile' based we have hidden the actual address as suggested. But I am yet to see a listing with a hidden address outrank a listing with a published address. For these keywords at least...

3. Photos; what photos can you add for each franchise? There is one common logo, and we can't put a photo of the office as it is someone's house!

Thanks for your time and suggestions :)

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for posting some great questions! Glad you like the forum!

1) Yes you are right. Needs to be Business Name only, no city or added keywords. That's the biggest reason for suspended listings.

2) Hiding address FYI is not just guideline or suggestion, it's mandatory. THOUSANDS of listings have been deleted. Some have been down for months.

Here's a search result that proves you can still rank with address hidden.
Plumber San Marcos Ca The TOP 3 listings are all hidden addresses. The lower ranking listings show address.

3) Google prefers photos, not logos. But so far they allow logos. I don't know what type of product or service but I'd buy some nice stock photos.

Anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks for the quick reply, Linda!

1. Cool - going to have to rename all of their listings as they have been automatically pulled out of YellowPages.com.au and TrueLocal.com.au (Australian sources) with "Brand Suburb" format for all of them!

2. Yep, badly worded :)

With your search for a 'plumber', I wonder if this is because a plumber is always going to be mobile anyway, so they don't care about unlisted addresses.

If you searched for something like "cupcakes san marcos ca" where the service is more likely to be a retail store, then I doubt they would show an unlisted address in preference to one with a listed address?

There are some industries where either mobile or brick and mortar are both equivalent, so how would Google decide which to rank higher.

3. Photos - nice find on the link. I'm not sure what Google are trying to achieve here! For 'plumbers' surely they are going to get flooded with the same stock photos for every listing. I thought a logo would have been more preferable in this situation.

1. Just to make this more complex, it turns out the franchises are all actually individually registered as "Brand Suburb" - does this mean it's best to NOT change their local listings?

If you searched for something like "cupcakes san marcos ca" where the service is more likely to be a retail store, then I doubt they would show an unlisted address in preference to one with a listed address?

I don't think hiding address or not affects ranking. Cupcakes would likely all be stores and should not have address hidden.

1. Just to make this more complex, it turns out the franchises are all actually individually registered as "Brand Suburb" - does this mean it's best to NOT change their local listings?

Well in my Advanced Places training I teach a BUNCH of different types of research that need to be done before deciding on NAP for the Place page and it's not always black and white and each situation is unique, so I hate to give blind blanket advice.

But IF the name is registered as "Brand Suburb" and they've consistently used that full and exact name in yellow pages and directories pretty consistently then it may be OK. You just really need to do thorough research and think carefully before changing names as it could cost you reviews or create dupes if you guess wrong.

Awesome, thanks.

Can you drop me an email with more details and pricing on your courses please? I've read the brief overview already.

Sure thing Daniel. Off to bed but will send to you tomorrow afternoon.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom