More threads by Gary

Gary

Reaction score
Is it okay to use words like "best" in Google Places custom categories? Example would be "Best NYC Restaurant" since this is a high traffic keyword phrase with medium competition it seems wise to build around this keyword phrase.

I researched Google Places guidelines and found nothing stating you can't use the words like "Best". But in using this term one would be making a claim that truly can't be verified.

Any feedback on this matter would truly be appreciated.

Regards,
Gary

Hi Gary, thanks for asking a great question.

No that would be a violation and a problem on a couple levels.

Google wants business categories to be standard business categories like you'd find in the yellow pages. They don't think of it as a place to stuff KWs but to better categorize the business.

They don't really like superlatives. Don't even allow them in Adwords, or at least didn't used to, have not checked lately. And I think even in description it can cause a problem if over the top and unprovable.

PLUS IMPORTANT "Best NYC Restaurant" has a major violation that OFTEN causes suspension.
Can't put city or any geo term in cats.

Cats can only be 'What your business IS" in a pure category sense.

And you might already be aware of this tool, Gary, but Mike Blumenthal has a great Google Places category tool on his site to help you find and choose the best categories for your listing. Even though they are "custom" categories, you always need to be careful to follow Google's guidelines as to what is acceptable and what is not, as Linda emphasized. But I do think it is a good idea to use up all of the custom categories if possible and if it makes sense, to give Google and users a better understanding about what you do and perhaps create more opportunities to be found.

I make it common practice to replicate Google's existing format for custom categories. I use words like Service, Contractor, Wholesaler, Store and Supplier when creating custom categories. I always figure it is best to stick with their formatting.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom