More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
NOTE from Linda - This is IMPORTANT if you deal with Drs, Dentists and Attorneys! Dupe discovery no longer works well using standard measures, POST PIGEON. Lots of dupes are out there but hidden!

Below is just an auto-generated snippet, that does not do the post justice. Click link to read full post plus see post #3 below for more details too.

"While I was researching, I was searching for duplicates by searching for a business phone number. These methods could also be used for searches done for a business URL, address, or name to try and locate duplicates that are for the same business with a different phone number. I used 3 random businesses..."

copycat.png

What do you guys think???

Please visit the site linked above to read the full post.
Or add comments and questions below.

copycat.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Great article Joy! And thanks for sharing Colan.

With all those methods to use, it's sure to find all dupes.

I helped Joy a little with this research.

BE SURE TO CLICK TO READ FULL POST!!!

There is important new stuff in here you need to know. I'll highlight a couple things below.

Method 5: Searching on Google.com for the “phone number” (in quotes) and “Plus.Google.com”

This is helpful to tell you what pages Google has actually indexed. It is also helpful to uncover any old pages that have been taken down. Recently we took on a client who was previously working with another SEO company that decided to delete his page when he cancelled. I was able to uncover that by searching via this method and finding the old URL (now leading to a 404 error page) that belonged to the page the company deleted. This was helpful because it gave me more insight to tell the business owner on why it will now most likely take longer to rank (since he has a brand new listing).

Note 1 from Linda - I had never thought to try this one. EXCELLENT Tip!

Method 3: Searching on Classic Maps

This used to be my primary method for finding duplicates. It surprised me to discover that since Pigeon, this method is now fairly useless and returns a fraction of the actual duplicates out there.
Currently it doesn’t appear to uncover any listings that other methods don’t catch. It could be useful in finding out which listing is the “strongest” for a phone number.

Note 2 from Linda - We ran several tests and Joy uncovered something really important here. One test I ran classic only showed one listing - the practice. But MM showed 6. The practice and 5 Dr listings.

Note 3 from Linda - I've noticed lately that Pigeon does not seem to mind dupes as much as the previous algo did.

Great info Joy! Head over to read the rest and share your thoughts below!

WOW! This is brilliant. Thank you for sharing!

This brings up another question ( forgive me if silly), in a few of my experiments I find that the +nameofuniqueURLhere is indexed alongside the /1234534556/about URL - yet they have the same destination page which is +nameofuniqueURLhere.

So, are these duplicates and do we just wait for her to do some housecleaning?
OR are +uniqueURLhere going to the wayside, because of the degradation of the +.

Tammy

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! This is brilliant. Thank you for sharing!

This brings up another question ( forgive me if silly), in a few of my experiments I find that the +nameofuniqueURLhere is indexed alongside the /1234534556/about URL - yet they have the same destination page which is +nameofuniqueURLhere.

So, are these duplicates and do we just wait for her to do some housecleaning?
OR are +uniqueURLhere going to the wayside, because of the degradation of the +.

Hi Tammy, not sure I follow. If I understand you right, those URLS should be different URLs for the same page.

Where are you seeing both indexed along side one another?

That's a great post.

Joy - thanks for writing.

Linda - thanks for helping.

Colan - thanks for scooping.

The link doesn't work for me either.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom