More threads by Laustin1878

Reaction score
I am having an outright brain fart and cannot figure this out. I am working with a website that has 2 ways their products can be found within the navigation, by product name and by product type and city. Basically, 2 different menu items point to the same page.

Unfortunately, both methods are required. How do I re-arrange things so it doesn't create a duplicate content issue? Would the canonical tag be of any use? I am wracking my mind trying to figure this out and struggling. Very long week and TGIF....

Thanks in advance.

What's the URL structure? Do the two different menu items have subfolders before the destination page?

ie:
Product name nav link is: href="/product-name/destination-page/" & product type link is href="/product-type/destination-page/"

or do both menu items just point to href="/destination-page/"?

If it's the first example, you would want to use the rel canonical on both pages, but only one canonical URL.

If it's the latter, shouldn't have any duplicate content issues, but should still use rel canonical.

Hope I was able to help out.

Blake, thank you. There is no sub folder before the designation page, just both items pointing to the destination page. What I am blanking on is why to use the canonical tag being as though there is not a "duplicate" per say that the SE's need to know about. Usually the canonical tag goes on the first page and the subsequent pages point to the 1st URL.

So do I put rel=cononical on the destination page using the destination URL? I just cannot wrap my head around this for some reason. It's bothering the crap out of me...lol

Thanks for the reference.

So do I put rel=cononical on the destination page using the destination URL? I just cannot wrap my head around this for some reason. It's bothering the crap out of me...lol

Thanks for the reference.

Yes, I would just put rel=canonical on the destination url using the destination URL and leave it at that. That would be the best way to do it :)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom