More threads by Andrew Forster

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

So with all the roll-outs happening in the last 3 weeks, I had a couple of questions (as I'm sure many of you do). Wondering if any of you could provide some insight into the best practice for doing new verifications.

1. Should we still claim / verify a business listing in the places dashboard first, then merge it into a Google+ local page

2. With the ability to edit categories within Google+, do these sync with categories already in someones Places page or even Map Maker for that matter.

Any feedback / advice would be greatly appreciated.

- Andrew

Andrew my personal and pretty strong recommendation is to just claim in Places and don't even try to merge yet. It's still too buggy and even with addition of cats it's limited and you can't do custom cats.

Unless he's changed his mind just recently, Mike last I read has also been saying, hold off - don't merge or verify in G+ yet. Jade even agreed not too long ago that's it's just best to wait.

See: http://localsearchforum.catalystema...le-local-really-broken-whos-charge-whats.html

Thanks for the advice.

Funny - about 3 months ago I actually claimed a clients Google+ page before they had a Google Places dashboard listing. The Google+ page was live, however they weren't ranking in the SERP's.

I then went back into their places Dash and found the listing, re-claimed it and within 1 day of it being claimed and verified their listing appeared in the local cluster. Props to Nyagoslav for the assistance, but what a wonky 6 months it's been :p

I signed up just to bump this, and continue the conversation. I have spent the last half day, as a hotel guy, and not SEO or online expert, comprehending all this. I am pretty savvy, but this is baffling. I am somewhat "in" the verification process for a few properties, but with one, it's just glitch city. There were 3 listings in places which I took care of, but now I have a feedback loop with my verified places not allowing me to respond to reviews. Reviews I responded to are hidden at one property, and when I click the "respond to reviews" button in places dashboard for a different property, and it says they don't support the location.

This is monumentally baffling. So... it's Google Places as the backend, and then Google Plus Pages + Google Plus Local Listings (soon to fully merge) on the front end?

I can't even explain all the weird bugs I ran into, today.

So, yeah... welcome someone seeking respite. =) Cheers.

Welcome in from the cold. It's crazy out there in Googleland! :p

Read this because laughter is the best medicine and it may help clear some confusion.
http://localsearchforum.catalystema...oogle-local-page-name-conundrum-clearing.html :D

Then please post more details down in the help section. Sounds like you are getting some things tied up in knots and best to stop and let us help you figure it out before it gets worse. I can guess at a couple things just based on what you said, but I'd be shooting in the dark without more details. So post down there and we'll try to help.

Just curious.
When you do attempt to merge the Google + Business pg and Google + Local, whats the time frame of the actual merge?

I understand this process is still buggy and inconsistent. Just wondering what others have experienced?

If all goes well it's pretty fast. I think avg 7 days for mailer with PIN. Soemtimes they even proactively email and get you verified before you even get the mail.

If a google + page has already been confirmed and verified, is there anyway to go back erase it and go back to just google places, as it seems that +local is just too buggy as of right now, and things arent working with the known stradegies

Yes you can just delete the Google+ Business page and if they were merged (IE G+ page was verified, then it will leave you back at just a Google+ Local (Place page.)

In fact that's what Google is telling service area businesses that merged and should not have.

I'm getting ready to do that too. I jumped right on the merge so I could see what it was like and have it for testing. But now can't edit in dash and test things there, so I'm just going to delete my + page so I can have my dash back.

Yes you can just delete the Google+ Business page and if they were merged (IE G+ page was verified, then it will leave you back at just a Google+ Local (Place page.)

In fact that's what Google is telling service area businesses that merged and should not have.

I'm getting ready to do that too. I jumped right on the merge so I could see what it was like and have it for testing. But now can't edit in dash and test things there, so I'm just going to delete my + page so I can have my dash back.

what are the steps to getting rid of the +page ive logged om the panel and also settings and cant find where to erase the +local page i want deleted.

what are the steps to getting rid of the +page ive logged om the panel and also settings and cant find where to erase the +local page i want deleted.

Click on Pages on the ribbon on the left, go to the Settings of your page, and scroll to the bottom and click Delete page.

Hi Linda:

Is this still your advice or is there a blog post you can point me to with your latest and greatest?

Thanks,
Kelly

When you go to Settings, Delete page, you are required to log in a again. The messaging may appear like you are deleting the entire Account, but if you look carefully at the name of the "account" that is being deleted, it is actually the name of the PAGE "account", not your Google account that is being deleted, so don't freak out.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom