Local Marketing Summit banner  below header new
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    151
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    With the new Google My Business page update, I'm not clear on whether there will still be a separate Google plus business page in addition to the local page, so I'm hoping for some clarification.

    Are either of these pages a duplicate?

    Google my business page
    http://goo.gl/cLU5UJ

    Google plus page
    http://goo.gl/HSnNDl

    We are trying to regain access to the local page, but if they should be one page, perhaps that is the wrong approach.

    Thanks in advance for your help!

  2. GradeUs in thread
  3. #2
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,722
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    Hi Kristen,

    Those pages are different.

    This is the page that can appear on Google Maps and can accept reviews - https://plus.google.com/102364396843800464042/about

    This page appears to be an unverified localG+ page which can't appear on Google Maps - https://plus.google.com/+Restorelogs/about

    You can't merge the two pages because the Verified pages is, well, verified already.

    My first thought was to convert the page with the followers to a Verified Local G+ page but that only works for Brand pages, which I am 99% sure that isn't. (https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/SUYXCmExm1I)

    So I would say this is the page you want top move forward with - https://plus.google.com/102364396843800464042/about

    The other page can be ignored or deleted. I would see if I could reach out to the followers and ask them to follow the verified localG+ page.

    Does that help?
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

  4. #3
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    14,570
    Thanks (Received)
    154
    Likes (Received)
    166

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    The 2nd one is just a Google+ brand page. And looks like they are posting to it and have a few followers.

    The GMB/G+ Local page looks claimed.

    Did you ask them what happened? They could have created a brand page at some point, then Google upgraded their Places listing to a G+ Local page.

    So the G+ page is not technically a dupe - not the kind that will hurt their ranking, since G+ pages don't rank.

    But it's sort of splitting up their efforts and watering down effectiveness. Ideally they would probably do better if social, reviews and everything was all on one page instead of diversifying and splitting everything up.

    There are reasons a BIG brand might want a separate brand page and G+ Local page but for a small business like this makes more sense to have everything in one place.

    What to do or how to fix depends somewhat on what their goal is.
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

    If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".

  5. #4
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    151
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Buquet View Post
    The 2nd one is just a Google+ brand page. And looks like they are posting to it and have a few followers.

    The GMB/G+ Local page looks claimed.

    Did you ask them what happened? They could have created a brand page at some point, then Google upgraded their Places listing to a G+ Local page.

    So the G+ page is not technically a dupe - not the kind that will hurt their ranking, since G+ pages don't rank.

    But it's sort of splitting up their efforts and watering down effectiveness. Ideally they would probably do better if social, reviews and everything was all on one page instead of diversifying and splitting everything up.

    There are reasons a BIG brand might want a separate brand page and G+ Local page but for a small business like this makes more sense to have everything in one place.

    What to do or how to fix depends somewhat on what their goal is.
    Thanks so much Colan and Linda!

    Currently they don't have access to their local page, so they have been adding posts to their brand page. I don't think they realized what they were doing when all this was set up, but they now want to clean up local, so we are trying to get access to their local page.

    Thanks again for your quick response and input!

    Kristen

  6. #5
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    14,570
    Thanks (Received)
    154
    Likes (Received)
    166

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    Thanks Colan, posted right over the top of you I guess so didn't see your post til now.
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

    If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".

  7. #6
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    151
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colan Nielsen View Post

    My first thought was to convert the page with the followers to a Verified Local G+ page but that only works for Brand pages, which I am 99% sure that isn't. (https://productforums.google.com/for...ts/SUYXCmExm1I)
    Colan/Linda, if this is a brand page as Linda suggested, should we convert the page?

  8. #7
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,722
    Thanks (Received)
    33
    Likes (Received)
    49

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    I would if you want to retain the posts and followers. But I am pretty confident that's not a brand page.
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

  9. #8
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    151
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    Okay, thanks Colan! We'll work on getting access to that local page and use that as the focus page.

  10. #9
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    14,570
    Thanks (Received)
    154
    Likes (Received)
    166

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colan Nielsen View Post
    I would if you want to retain the posts and followers. But I am pretty confident that's not a brand page.
    Sorry I misspoke. I didn't mean a brand page but a regular G+ Business Page.

    Yes I'd claim the G+ L page. Would be nice if they could get you the log in.

    Then on the other you can just do one post saying, please follow us here and all new posts will be here and link to the G+ L page. And then have them start posting on the G+ L page instead. Then after you think you've converted all you can you can, just delete that page like Colan said. It's not like they have all that many followers but I know you hate to lose any if you can help it.
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

    If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".

  11. #10
    Member Since
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    151
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Re: Google My Business Google plus page vs. local page - is one of these a duplicate?

    Quote Originally Posted by Linda Buquet View Post
    Sorry I misspoke. I didn't mean a brand page but a regular G+ Business Page.

    Yes I'd claim the G+ L page. Would be nice if they could get you the log in.

    Then on the other you can just do one post saying, please follow us here and all new posts will be here and link to the G+ L page. And then have them start posting on the G+ L page instead. Then after you think you've converted all you can you can, just delete that page like Colan said. It's not like they have all that many followers but I know you hate to lose any if you can help it.
    Great, thanks for the clarification Linda. We'll do just that. :-)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-25-2013, 01:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
GradeUs above footer new