More threads by Tim Colling

Tim Colling

Local Search Expert
LocalU Member
Solutions
Reaction score
As far as on-page SEO goes, for a local service area business like this one:

A Servant's Heart In Home Caregivers - San Diego Caregivers

Do you think it would be best to display a local number, or the 800 number as shown there now, in the header?

And what about situations where the business serves an area that includes multiple area codes, such as 760, 619, 858 and so forth?

This topic comes to mind because of this thread on G+ right now:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/+ZacharyPalmerCharles/posts/GXoB2i3Urzz

IMO the best of both worlds for bots and people is this...

Have the 800 on top and highly visible for people BUT have it in an image only with no alt text so Google can't read it.

Then in the footer of every page and on the contact us page have the local # that matches the # on the G+ L page. It's really important that exact match NAP is on every page of the site.

Hi Linda -

THANK YOU SO MUCH! Those recommendations are great. I appreciate your help!

What about looking at this question from the standpoint of conversion, rather than seo? Should I start a separate thread to ask about that?

Thanks.

No if it's about 800# vs Local# can just ask it here.

I'll change title to include it.

Thank you, Linda. The point of that G+ post was really more about conversion than seo, now that I think about it.

The effects upon (1) local SEO and (2) conversion rate, are BOTH important, of course.

In my opinion I think a Local number is trusted more by Users than an 800 number.

If I had the option I would definitely click a local number b/c I would assume the 800 number would take me to some automated message, ask me for my number and end with a promise to call back.

In my opinion I think a Local number is trusted more by Users than an 800 number...If I had the option I would definitely click a local number...

Amber, thank you very much for taking time to respond to my question. I appreciate your help!

I have the same subjective speculation: it just feels right to think that average consumers would trust a local number more than a toll-free number, for this sort of service (non-medical in-home caregivers).

Thanks!

---------- Post Merged at 10:09 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:05 PM ----------

Thanks to all for the great help. Here's the outcome:

The website is at:
http://www.TrustworthyCare.com

The corresponding Google Local page is at:
https://plus.google.com/+TrustworthyCare/about

Does it look like we've done the right things, in this case?

Thanks!

Quick glance and it looks like you successfully displayed the 800 number as an image like Linda suggested. And no alt text, awesome! Good job!

Just curious, is there a reason why you are displaying both the local and 800 number?

Just curious, is there a reason why you are displaying both the local and 800 number?

I think it makes sense in this case to have both.

Often the person shopping for elder care is an adult child in a different state so the 800# makes sense.

But if having a local # for the locals improves conversions and helps them feel like this is a local business and not some national call center - then I think showing both options to visitors is probably a good plan.

Often the person shopping for elder care is an adult child in a different state so the 800# makes sense...But if having a local # for the locals improves conversions and helps them feel like this is a local business and not some national call center - then I think showing both options to visitors is probably a good plan.

Exactly the way I see it.

Thank you!

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom