More threads by Ex Lurker

Reaction score
I updated my listing a few weeks ago and now I would like to update again, but I cant.

Signed in or not.

Verify your listing takes you to a scan.

Add/Edit Business takes you to a scan. Which is Yahoo Localworks $29.99 month.

Try Local Business Listing for free. Looks like adding a business.

I see it says some business info provided by infogroup. Is this the way Yahoo works now?

Can you update paying the $10.00 a month via Merchant Verified?

Any insight?
Thanks

I have noticed this in Yahoo. I can't figure out how to get around this either. It seems that it keeps pushing you to InsideYext.

"I can't figure out how to get around this either."

Today I signed up for the Yahoo local enhanced listing, which is $9.95 a month.
Lets you add more pics, cats, and what I like the most (hopefully easy to update) is you get a green check mark that says merchant verified on local. For the price I figured why not.

Looks like Yahoo is trying hard at sell the $29.99 local works. Seems like a waste.

It was just announced that the Yahoo Business directory is going bye bye. Not sure if that's the same as Yahoo local or how related it is. But if separate could be writing on the wall for local...

<a href="http://searchengineland.com/yahoo-directory-close-204370">The Yahoo Directory -- Once The Internet's Most Important Search Engine -- Is To Close</a>

@ Linda

I knew something was different with Yahoo, I was just hoping they would put more into the search and local (maybe with Alibabas help) since Yahoo now has some extra funds.

I remember 20 years ago when I was a teen, Yahoo was the place with great board and card games, Yahoo was what started my online experience.

Yahoo, what has happed?:confused::(

I updated my listing a few weeks ago and now I would like to update again, but I cant.

Signed in or not.

Verify your listing takes you to a scan.

Add/Edit Business takes you to a scan. Which is Yahoo Localworks $29.99 month.

Try Local Business Listing for free. Looks like adding a business.

I see it says some business info provided by infogroup. Is this the way Yahoo works now?

Can you update paying the $10.00 a month via Merchant Verified?

Any insight?
Thanks

When you click "Try Local Business Listing for free" Yahoo will take you to a screen that looks like you are adding a business but it will present you with all the listings that it finds and you can choose one to update.

I tried this yesterday so it should work.

Yesterday I went back and got a free listing to verify on Yahoo.
It was actually through email, the email was @domain.

A few weeks ago, I tried verifying and the code kept failing.

It was quite a bear to get into the Free Listing screen, it kept pushing me to an enhanced. I kept going back to main screen with all their offering, choosing Free Basic Listing and then claim a biz.

Of course as soon as it was verified, it went into Pending Status. Which for me has been a black hole with some accounts, being held hostage for months. I almost wonder if I am going to regret this instead of choosing the Enhanced Listing for 10.00.

I have had success reclaiming listings in the new dashboard. If you had a basic listing before, you should be able to edit your listing through the new unified dashboard:
https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/dashboard/v2/install/apps/basiclisting

Just search for and reclaim your business, update and verify. Yahoo will then review and publish the edits to your listing.

"For Basic Listings, please allow 30 days. After approval, allow an additional 1-2 days for the updates to show up in Yahoo Local."
-https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-local-basic/local-listing-statuses-sln15969.html?impressions=true

Unfortunately, sometimes it can take more than 30 days for Yahoo to "review" a basic listing.

I have had success reclaiming listings in the new dashboard. If you had a basic listing before, you should be able to edit your listing through the new unified dashboard:
https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/dashboard/v2/install/apps/basiclisting

Just search for and reclaim your business, update and verify. Yahoo will then review and publish the edits to your listing.

"For Basic Listings, please allow 30 days. After approval, allow an additional 1-2 days for the updates to show up in Yahoo Local."
-https://help.yahoo.com/kb/yahoo-local-basic/local-listing-statuses-sln15969.html?impressions=true

Unfortunately, sometimes it can take more than 30 days for Yahoo to "review" a basic listing.

I've seen this month that listings I had previously claimed on Yahoo I had to re-claim but the process was easier - was able to with the yahoo email address I had for then. And knock on wood, the first two actually took the submissions/edits successfully on the second try.

Any idea how to close down duplicate listings?

I have quite a few with incorrect address / phone so I cant even try to claim the listings and have it verified to shut down.

I know this is an old thread, but I am struggling with this infinite loop on Yahoo local as well. I have gotten to the listing dashboard where all of my client's listings were once claimed and now, although they show in the dashboard, they aren't showing "verified". Is this something that you have the pay the $9.95 per mo. for?

I, too, am at a loss when trying to scrub duplicates. From research it seems I need to somehow figure out what site syndicated it to Yahoo incorrectly, but that seems impossible at this point because the data is so old.

If anyone has any current input that would be so wonderful :)

Thanks!

I know this is an old thread, but I am struggling with this infinite loop on Yahoo local as well. I have gotten to the listing dashboard where all of my client's listings were once claimed and now, although they show in the dashboard, they aren't showing "verified". Is this something that you have the pay the $9.95 per mo. for?

I, too, am at a loss when trying to scrub duplicates. From research it seems I need to somehow figure out what site syndicated it to Yahoo incorrectly, but that seems impossible at this point because the data is so old.

If anyone has any current input that would be so wonderful :)

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat. I have been in un verified limbo for months get frustrating try to get them to update my listing because I moved...

You can still verify a Yahoo listing for free. They refer to it as "Basic" and then $9.95 for "Enhanced". https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/local-listings/compare-plans

I ran into problems trying to claim listings on the old dashboard. The PINs would get rejected. Now when verifying a Basic Yahoo listing (one of the free ones) I make sure to go to the newer version of the Yahoo Local dashboard: https://smallbusiness.yahoo.com/dashboard/v2

Once a free listing is verified, I am seeing Yahoo take 8-10 weeks with the listings "Pending Review" before indicating whether the verification was accepted or denied. IMO the unpaid Yahoo Local experience is the worst of the major business databases as far as organization, turnaround time, and ability to clean things up.

It's as if Yahoo seeks to make the free version so insufferably bad that people end up begging to pay $10 or $30 a month to make some progress.

Yes!! I completely agree with you! It's terrible. I am actually using the new dashboard and it gives constant errors and seems like I am getting no where most of the time. This particular client has several locations and I logged into the dashboard with their account and saw all of their locations listed (plus several duplicates). So, at some point, these listings were claimed by their account although now the listings all show up as unverified.

I optimized one listing, hit submit and verified it with the code that was emailed to the client. It's now"pending" and can't be edited. It's been stuck in this state for 6 weeks now and I had been scared to edit any of the other locations for fear they would become uneditable. It sounds like, from what you are saying, this is just an unavoidable part of the process.

Thank you for your input!

I go to the new dashboard all I get when I click edit is a prompt to enter CC info for $9.95 billed monthly. I too have been waiting for over six months to edit info on a updated listing pretty sad to treat SM in this manner. One would think that if yahoo wanted to help improve this aspect of doing business with SB this would be a non issue for so many. I can see a having glitch in the system but this is ridiculous!

I have paid Expressupdate.com (cough. yext cough)to get my local citations in order only to find yahoo and other third party reporting sites still reporting old info...That just ain't right in my book...:mad:

We had a similar experience which we will be blogging about this weekend on blog.bizyhood.com. Trying to get a NEW listing added to Yahoo Local was a hysterically bad experience. We actually called them to try to rectify what seemed like conflicting information they were sending via email - and they made it crystal clear that very little will be done with a listing unless you sign up for one of their paid packages. A "free" listing is put at the very bottom of the pile - no SLA on when it will be added.

There were so many issues trying to sign up, it's hard to believe they are taking this seriously. I agree with @Linda's comment that it's likely letting the gas out of the tank before they shut it down.

Even if you do pay for an enhanced listing they still get it wrong. They (not me) created a whole new listing with no reviews deleted the old one with all reviews and pics... It would help if the customer so called service spoke English and understand what one is trying to tell them. How yahoo thinks they are saving money with off shore customer service is beyond comprehension I have called them 5 times this week with no resolution in site...:confused:

Andy,

I tweeted to @YSmallBizCare 5 days ago - I haven't gotten a response. I looked through their account too - it seems like a very small number of responses daily relative to the number of folks out there trying to get listed.

Yahoo Local is dead. That's my conclusion. In fact, a large number of the citation sites out there are the walking dead. We need to do a better job focusing on the high quality and active citation sites and stop suggesting that business owners get listed on 50+ sites that simply don't matter.

Regards,
Scott

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom