More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
This is such a hot find! Happy to share this quick easy free tool.

WARNING - THIS TOOL AIN'T PRETTY BUT it SERVES A BIG NEED!

There are lots of free rank checkers where you can plug in the keywords and domain and it will tell you where the site ranks for THAT specific KW.

But I've never found a free tool that will show ALL the top KWs someone already ranks for.
Which is a VERY HOT TIDBIT TO KNOW - for a few reasons.
(See list below.)

1st go out and look at a random example I picked. (Not a client).
Ranks #1 for "beverly hills cosmetic dentist"

Go to: SavedHistory.net for 90210DENTIST.NET THEN click the "Keywords" tab!
IS THAT HOT OR WHAT???

PARTIAL SCREEN SHOT

3419184211-orig.png

It even indicates if they've moved up or down.

Ways to use the info:

1) Prior to consult - to check what client already ranks for or SHOULD but doesn't

2) Competitive research

.:. Find out what a competitor ranks for that your client is missing

.:. Keyword discovery - find other keywords or long tails you maybe had not thought of (2 ways to do this. Check the top guys in your client's market. Then also as I did above, go to a big competitive city and see what KWs the "big boys" that maybe have good SEOs and big budgets are targeting.)

3) Prior to optimizing - Check what client is ALREADY ranking for, to find low hanging fruit that would be easy to bump or longer tale phrases you may want to put more energy in or industry KWs you would never have thought of for this client. OR note how low they currently rank for a KW you PLAN to target, so you can show them the before/after ranking results.

GREAT PRE-CONSULT - for quick peek at their ranking & to get an overall picture of where they stand.

(Note: just because they rank for a KW does not mean it's any good. Still need to research volume and popularity. For example using this tool I found my site ranks #1 for "tags spam seo" YIPPEE! not!
Not a key phrase that would pull the kind of traffic I want and probably does not get much traffic.)

4) After optimizing - Like you I'm sure, my ranking reports focus on the main keywords I'm trying to rank for. That's all the report looks at. But what if I optimized for cosmetic dentist and this report shows me now he ranks for something like "Best cosmetic dentist". That would be cool to know and share with client. Or I only think to put Invisalign Dentist in my ranking report, but this may show be he also jumped to #1 for Invisalign Provider.

5) ALSO GREAT BACKLINK CHECKER - Pulls from Majestic so should be pretty accurate. BUT the cool thing is it's free, quick, no log in required AND it shows backlinks OVER TIME.

So if a client comes to you and says "I was ranking #3 and now I dropped off the face of the earth." You research and suspect it's organic. Check backlinks over time and see if maybe there was a ton of new BLs right before the ranking drop. That would give you a clearer suspicion this could be an organic penalty.

Again, it ain't pretty BUT sure seems to work well in the limited testing I've done.

What do you think? Will this come in handy?

3419184211-orig.png

Hey Linda,

Wow, this is really exciting for me.

I've always thought it's irritating as (pre-meeting/consultancy), you can't get a run-down of all the Keywords that the website ranks for.

Normally for this, you need to look through Webmaster Tools and Analytics which you can only do after they provide access/start working with them.

So yeah, gonna try this out now. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome, thanks for the tip, Linda! Looks like a pretty useful tool, and it's free. Although when I entered a couple of different domains in the search box, I got a "Domain is not found in our database" message. So maybe a site has to have decent traffic in order for info to be populated. But for the domains that it did have info for, it was great. Thanks for sharing your find.

Although when I entered a couple of different domains in the search box, I got a "Domain is not found in our database" message. So maybe a site has to have decent traffic in order for info to be populated. But for the domains that it did have info for, it was great. Thanks for sharing your find.

Good to know, I wondered about that but checked a couple obscure little client sites and it found them. I wonder if you check in a week, or even a day if your query maybe adds it to their DB to be spidered later?

Anyway, worth a shot since easy, just plug in the URL.

Wow, this is pretty nice being as though G seems to be clamping down big time on providing keyword data (not provided % is on the rise). I read on another SEO forum a few weeks ago that rank checking tools would soon be pinched as well. I cannot seem to find where I read this (maybe some clarification or confirmation is helpful).

I too encountered an error or two as others have noted. I do think that these sites do get quite a bit of traffic. I will be sure to check back in a few days but thank you for sharing such a valuable too for FREE!

I read on another SEO forum a few weeks ago that rank checking tools would soon be pinched as well.

Yes a couple MAJOR rank tracking programs had to pull the plug on that feature. RavenTools is one. Here is one of many posts about it. Raven

It looks like a sweet little tool. I got the same "Domain is not found" message as David for an older domain with 100+ indexed pages and fairly high Domain Authority.

SEMrush has a robust SEO/PPC keyword research tool that does something similar and also adds search volume and CPC (though the numbers are proprietary and far different from the Adwords Keyword Tool). You get 5 listings for free and a lot more with the paid version. It's not a bad place to start for pre-consult info. This is however an organic search tool. Thanks for the share. I'll try again later.

Yes Jason, SEMrush is another great tool and much more comprehensive analysis.
(And much prettier too!)

But it does not show the huge list of all the keywords you rank for. (At least in free version that you can just quickly plug a URL into.)

I've bookmarked some other good tools and when I get time I'll try to do a thread and we can start a list.

Anyone else have any other good free tools for ranking or SEO analysis?

Holy crap! That dude's rankings are... way better than mine. I suck!

Need to hire that guy's SEO... LOL!

LOL!

He's a Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist. He can AFFORD a good SEO! :p

Nice tool, but the results of the report you've shared are not even close to the real Google SERPs, for both rankings and PR

anyhow, not a Local Rank Checker there are better tools for doing this as PROs :) - for free

I checked it out briefly... but it doesn't look very reliable. I believe FREE isn't always the best option, especially when it comes to delivering accurate reports to your clients. :)

I never suggested this for client reports and would not use it that way either.

Suggested above mainly as a tool for yourself for competitive research, keyword research (idea generation) and quick prelim peek at what prospect MAY be ranking for prior to consult. Or additional KWs that may pop up as in #4 above. But then you'd go check them live to be sure, since it is a free tool.

Once they are a client you'd use a robust reporting tool. Certainly would not use this.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom