Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Companies threatening legal action for people leaving negative reviews

More and more companies are starting to take legal action against people leaving negative reviews, but what happens when you leave an honest review that is negative and the company sends you a cease and desist
    letter? This reviewer took the reviews down even though she stands by the review she left. I think my response would have been, "Great, take me to court"

Negative online reviews can lead to threats of legal action from targeted businesses

It's just an opinion, right? But if you post it online, you could get some unwanted attention from lawyers. A growing number of companies are going after people who post negative reviews online.

Ottawa student Olivia Parsons learned that the hard way. After moving out of her apartment in June, she posted several less-than-flattering online reviews on Google, Yelp and Pissed Consumer.

The reviews took aim at CLV Group the company that manages the building. According to its website, CLV manages more than 7,500 rental apartments in Ontario and Quebec.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Companies threatening legal action for people leaving negative reviews

I think that either way, in this case, the company looks bad. Now they're being publically outed for threatening legal action against a past tenant for a bad review. We'll never know if the review was truley misleading/defaming the company or not, but the way they handled it is going to do more harm than the review was.

A simple response to the review explaining what the charges were for and correcting any misleading information would have sufficed & let future tenants know they play fair... now they just look shady!
    Hurricane K8
    Leavens Auto Group (London, Orillia, Chatham - Ontario,Canada)

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Companies threatening legal action for people leaving negative reviews

Late to the party...

On the flip side --> I know intimately a person who was let go because of 1 bad Yelp review which if you did any investigation, you would see the reviewer has a history of posting foul reviews. Point being, 1 anonymous review can get you fired.

The company in this case has the money to find out and legally "scare" the reviewer.

But the individual.. good luck to you. All you need to do is write some scathing reviews and if you find the right business owner who thinks reviews are facts, you can get some serious change. Heck, you don't even need to have ever been at the establishment to start the ball rolling.

It's a fine line between freedom of speech and slander. If you write a review, it should be as factual as possible. That has a great chance of standing up in court. But if you are young, it's far easier to take down a review than spend time in a courtroom to see how the justice system might or might not work in your favor.