Local Marketing Summit banner  below header new
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Member Since
    Jun 2012
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    15,627
    Thanks (Received)
    154
    Likes (Received)
    165

    How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbird

    Those of you that do citations full-time may know some of this info however many don't, plus I like the way this is organized and rated based on difficulty level.

    AND THEY SCORED THEM IN PIGEONS!

    "We’ve also scored each directory in Pigeons. In this game, the fewer pigeons, the less annoying the aggregator is to work with."

    Haha, you know I had to share when I saw that part, right?

    How to Update Your Listing on Acxiom, Infogroup & LocalezeMockingbird Marketing

    In a relentless quest to become the most reliable provider of data on the web, Google and Bing do their best to display correct contact information for every business. In order to do this, search engines rely on data aggregators, which vary by country, to provide reliable information. Other directory sites, such as Yelp and Yellow Pages, also pull information from these major data aggregators. If your business information is incorrect in the aggregator databases, you can expect it to be displayed incorrectly in numerous other places across the web. Therefore, making sure your business information is correct on applicable data aggregators should be at the top of your local search improvement to do list.

    According to Moz, there are four main data aggregators in the U.S.: Infogroup, Acxiom, Localeze and Factual. Unfortunately, figuring out where and how to check and change your business information in these aggregators is often more difficult than it should be. We’ve broken down each directory to give you a quick look into what’s required to update information in each one.
    Great stuff! Head over the read the rest.

    What do you think???
    Linda Buquet .:. Forum Founder, Google Local Specialist

    If you benefit from advice here... Please pay the community back by sharing on social OR helping someone else at the forum. Thank you!

    Don't Miss Important News & Tips! Subscribe to Daily Email Digest Here

    Note: Due to mulitple RSI injuries, pardon short replies. Typos? Blame it on "Dragon".

  2. Local Marketing Summit banner in thread
  3. #2
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,136
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Re: How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbir

    I just want to cover my tracks here, is there any reason to update manually except for that it's free?

    I guess the question I'm asking is if you can afford it, why wouldn't you just use Moz Local? I just want to make sure I'm not missing some kind of secret here

    Great article!
    Tutelary Marketing, Owner
    Local Listing Ninja - Business Listing Service
    Local Listing Ninja Reviews - Check Out Our 100+ 5 Star Reviews!

  4. #3
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    25
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbir

    One thing with Moz Local Joshua, is you can't edit the listing in the future. Claiming these sources manually gives you and the client easy logins to update at any time.

    If you claim a listing like Neustar Localeze with Moz Local, you can't login to the Localeze or make an update - like if the business decides to move a few months after you've begun a local campaign.

    It also takes longer to use Moz Local. I always attempt to manually claim these most important of citations first, except BOTW Local (cheaper when you use Moz Local) and Factual (because it can't be claimed or updated manually)

    If the client is slow on documentation for Axciom or can't get to the phone for a verification, then I use Moz Local for many of these most authoritative data aggregators.

  5. #4
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,136
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Re: How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbir

    Quote Originally Posted by cleverlyengaged View Post
    One thing with Moz Local Joshua, is you can't edit the listing in the future. Claiming these sources manually gives you and the client easy logins to update at any time.

    If you claim a listing like Neustar Localeze with Moz Local, you can't login to the Localeze or make an update - like if the business decides to move a few months after you've begun a local campaign.

    It also takes longer to use Moz Local. I always attempt to manually claim these most important of citations first, except BOTW Local (cheaper when you use Moz Local) and Factual (because it can't be claimed or updated manually)

    If the client is slow on documentation for Axciom or can't get to the phone for a verification, then I use Moz Local for many of these most authoritative data aggregators.
    Interesting.

    When was the last time you used Moz Local?

    The only reason I ask is because in the beginning, Moz Local was slower on these data aggregators. Now, it seems that they are actually very quick with them. Can anyone else weigh in on this? Would be nice to hear from David on the updates to Moz Local.

    Also, you aren't able to change your information on Moz Local once submitted? That doesn't seem quite correct. Surely Moz wouldn't have left such a gap in their product?
    Tutelary Marketing, Owner
    Local Listing Ninja - Business Listing Service
    Local Listing Ninja Reviews - Check Out Our 100+ 5 Star Reviews!

  6. #5
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    2,721
    Thanks (Received)
    32
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Re: How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbir

    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaMackens View Post
    Interesting.

    When was the last time you used Moz Local?

    The only reason I ask is because in the beginning, Moz Local was slower on these data aggregators. Now, it seems that they are actually very quick with them. Can anyone else weigh in on this? Would be nice to hear from David on the updates to Moz Local.

    Also, you aren't able to change your information on Moz Local once submitted? That doesn't seem quite correct. Surely Moz wouldn't have left such a gap in their product?
    MozLocal automatically updates the business NAP by matching it with the Google+ Local page and/or Facebook page. So as long as those are updated there isn't even a need to update the NAP manually. Pretty sweet IMO.
    Colan Nielsen l GMB Top Contributor
    Vice President, Local Search at Sterling Sky
    Connect on Google + and Twitter

  7. #6
    Member Since
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    1,136
    Thanks (Received)
    24
    Likes (Received)
    31

    Re: How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbir

    Quote Originally Posted by Colan Nielsen View Post
    MozLocal automatically updates the business NAP by matching it with the Google+ Local page and/or Facebook page. So as long as those are updated there isn't even a need to update the NAP manually. Pretty sweet IMO.
    That is pretty awesome.

    Does Moz Local have an affiliate program yet by the way?
    Tutelary Marketing, Owner
    Local Listing Ninja - Business Listing Service
    Local Listing Ninja Reviews - Check Out Our 100+ 5 Star Reviews!

  8. #7
    Member Since
    Jul 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    25
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbir

    I've used Moz local many times since its inception, but I did speak incorrectly about a few things.

    I just completed two campaigns for clients and it has gotten much faster so I would agree with Colan.

    As long as you are a subscriber (paying $84 a year), you can update your business information at any time via CSV.

    Now if you don't pay for a Moz Local subscription, this is what happens: (from https://moz.com/local/how)

    Moz Local will simply report to the sites in our network that the listing is no longer under management by one of our customers. In this event, Acxiom and Neustar Localeze will revert your listings to their status prior to your Moz Local subscription. In some cases, your other listings will lose enhanced content like website URL, secondary category information, logos, and other images.

    Moz Local will not actively remove your listing from our network of sites. You will always have the ability to reclaim your listings manually on each site if you decide to cancel your Moz Local subscription.


    1. Even though they don't remove the listing, the fact that some information may be lost is unnerving and is the same problem I have with YEXT.

    The client is expected to pay $84 a year - they don't truly own their listings.

    2. How often do you have a client for several years? It's common to lose clients in less amount of time. If you have a client that leaves you for another agency, you likely will cancel the Moz subscription and the client won't truly own their local listings.

    3. Also, not all fields in Axciom (one of the most important data aggregators) are available in Moz Local.

    Example - Date Founded, Service Area, free services, shipping info, discounts offered, other services offered and more.

  9. #8
    Member Since
    Jul 2012
    Location
    North Attleboro, MA
    Posts
    1,071
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    8

    Re: How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbir

    Quote Originally Posted by cleverlyengaged View Post
    If you claim a listing like Neustar Localeze with Moz Local, you can't login to the Localeze or make an update - like if the business decides to move a few months after you've begun a local campaign.
    This is actually an argument against making free edits on LocalEze. As of April 2013, they only let you make one free round of edits per year. If you want to make edits in the interim you have to pay the $300 annual fee or use Moz Local.

  10. #9
    Member Since
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Asheville, NC
    Posts
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Re: How To Update Your Local Listing Data on the 4 Main Data Aggregators - Mockingbir

    Quote Originally Posted by cleverlyengaged View Post
    2. How often do you have a client for several years? It's common to lose clients in less amount of time. If you have a client that leaves you for another agency, you likely will cancel the Moz subscription and the client won't truly own their local listings.
    This is one reason I have clients sign up for it themselves.
    Rich Owings
    Local Is Where It's At | Asheville, NC SEO

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM
  2. Update Times for Google Places Data Edits
    By Linda Buquet in forum Google Local IMPORTANT
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-22-2012, 08:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Local Marketing Summit banner above footer new