More threads by frederickwebpro

Reaction score
I've got a conundrum of a question for you guys n gals:

Local SEO gospel is a small business needs to have it's NAP data cluster consistent among the various Internet Yellow Pages online business directory listings.

I get that, and when i optimize my small business client's NAP citations they (usually) perform well

But I run across this one for a (local to me) Janitorial Service that is currently #1 in G Places.. I investigate.. I run their NAP through Yext.com and Getlisted.org

they're all screwed up, current address on their website does not match their G+ Local listing, 1/3 of their IYP online business directory listings for an old business address, another mistakenly lists our local chamber of commerce as their current address.
1/3 list an old address where they may (or may not have) once done business out of.

By all that's meet and right and holy.. this company should not rank

yet they do?

What gives?
Is this a situation where Penguin should have bumped these guys down long ago but since Penguin hasn't updated in months and months they still rank?

any ideas?

What gives?
Is this a situation where Penguin should have bumped these guys down long ago but since Penguin hasn't updated in months and months they still rank?

Penguin has been updating for a couple months now.

But Penguin does not have anything to do with NAP or citations or with local necessarily, since you can rank in the pack even with a Penguin penalty.

We'd probably need to see listing to be able to guess while it's ranking. But screwed up NAP is not necessarily a deal breaker. I mean best practice for sure is to clean it up on your own clients. But that's not to say a business can't rank. Especially post-Pigeon lots of ranking signals have changed. It's not quite as much about local signals like NAP and citations now. More about traditional ranking signals than before.

So heckler's Q is a good one. And if you care to post a link or tell us what KW and biz it is, we can see what else we can find. Hard to solve a puzzle when we don't have any pieces to start with. :p

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom