More threads by seoWest

Reaction score
Have you guys seen G return this format for a search query?

example.jpg

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="http://localsearchforum.catalystemarketing.com/attachments/local-search/2067d1417711975t-interesting-pack-display-screen-shot-2014-12-04-10.49.53-am.jpg">

example.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Linda,

I will take a look at the posts over at Mike's. Interestingly enough, yesterday was the first time I ran across it when performing some work on a client's account.

Thanks for the explanation :)

Yes, it was a slow rollout for some. All the while everyone was talking about it, I never had it. Just checked and I finally do. Mainly for food and lodging queries.

The bummer is... my client is in the vineyard development business - not wine tasting, food or hospitality ;-)

I also saw this yesterday for a client of mine in the moving industry.

Shows the Local Stack on "movers dallas" but not "movers dallas tx." Just an interesting tid bit I thought.

Unfortunately for my client, Google only shows the top 3 in the Local Stack and he is #4.

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 10.49.53 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 10.49.53 AM.jpg

Interesting. I thought this was supposed to be geared toward the food, entertainment and hospitality arena.... not liking what I see so far. This must be the early stages of something bigger. Poor UX at this juncture.

Been seeing this for about 2 weeks now, what's terrible about it is that Google has decided NOT to include phone numbers for the listings! WHY?!
tapas.jpg

tapas.jpg

Thanks Ben and Howell!

Yes BAD because there are only 3 listings.

"what's terrible about it is that Google has decided NOT to include phone numbers for the listings! WHY?!"

It gets worse! There is no link to site or to G+ either.

A click takes you to a large knowledge panel type display.

Sure hope this thing does not roll out to all local listings!!!

I think I have an idea on why Google is leaving out the phone numbers. At first I was kind of horrified but thought about it and it forces the user to click somewhere. This gives Google more data on what businesses are better/more liked and will probably result in them ranking higher. It will also give Google more data to bring back to the business (a silver lining?). Without forcing the click, Google has no way to know which business the user ended up calling for industries like insurance where it's a search + call type of behavior on a computer.

I have so many clients that fall into this type of business. They get tons of phone calls from their Google Places listing (they know b/c the caller references the reviews) but their data in the dashboard shows nothing but high impressions and next-to-no website clicks.

Hi Joy,

You could be onto something with that theory of yours... it makes sense.

Thing is, while this might help Google garner more meaningful data, I wonder if the people who called the local business direct from the number in the search results, will understand they will need to click-through to obtain the number? Another learning curve I suppose, but in the interim, it could definitely have a negative impact upon local businesses.

I think I have an idea on why Google is leaving out the phone numbers. At first I was kind of horrified but thought about it and it forces the user to click somewhere. This gives Google more data on what businesses are better/more liked and will probably result in them ranking higher. It will also give Google more data to bring back to the business (a silver lining?). Without forcing the click, Google has no way to know which business the user ended up calling for industries like insurance where it's a search + call type of behavior on a computer.

I have so many clients that fall into this type of business. They get tons of phone calls from their Google Places listing (they know b/c the caller references the reviews) but their data in the dashboard shows nothing but high impressions and next-to-no website clicks.

OK, I just posted a reply, but it looks like it didn't stick...errr. So here it goes again in shorter version...

I like your observation Joy. By removing the phone numbers, it gives another advantage to advertisers as well. My locksmith clients rely heavily on direct calls from local search results. If the advertisers were allowed to have phone numbers in their ads, but local results did not, my clients would definitely take a hit.

Will have to watch to see if this rolls out in that industry.

While it would make sense for Google to do this from a data standpoint, they should know that this makes their SERPS less valuable by making searchers take extra steps. I think this is a step backward in search quality.

Wouldn't you think they remedy this pretty quickly?

Use the send feedback option everyone to voice your concerns. That way they know the new SERPs are not delivering the usability factor.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom