More threads by cleverlyengaged

Solutions
Reaction score
How to Claim Dunn & Bradstreet & Great List of Other Business Data Aggregators

I shared this tip with Bill Hartzer yesterday. I have been frustrated with D&B in the past, as it required a client to change NAP and other detailed information by calling and talking with their rep.

Now, as consultants/agencies, we can claim and update a Dunn & Bradstreet listing for free. Follow the directions in Bill's blog post:

How to Claim Your Dunn & Bradstreet Local Listing

After I did this for my clients, I started to journey into the uncharted territory of data aggregators. I'm not talking about Axciom, Factual or Localeze, although these are also important.

D&B has several competitors that also aim to sell and present a business credit history/data. Have you attempted to claim these in your campaigns? Let me know.

Apple Maps Data Aggregators
DAC Group
Location3 Media
Marquette Group
Placeable
PositionTech
SIM Partners
SinglePlatform
Yodle

Check out the list of providers that feed Radaris (business and personal info)
https://radaris.com/page/List-of-Sources

LexisNexis Inc
ChoicePoint Inc
Rapleaf
Datalogix
Epsilon
Transunion
Reed Elsevier
Spokeo
Intelius
Acxiom
Experian
Equifax
USPTO.gov
Imdb.com
Amazon.com
WhitePages.com
USssearch.com,
Bing.com
Classmates.com
Google.com,
PeopleSearch.com,
PeopleFinders
PeopleWise.com,
ZabaSearch.com
Facebook.com,
LinkedIn.com,
Wink.com.

Last edited by a moderator:
re: How to Claim Dunn & Bradstreet & Great List of Other Business Data Aggregators

Really awesome info! Thanks for sharing cleverlyengaged!

Really awesome post by Bill and I imagine D&B is a really strong citation to have - and to have right, so check it, per Bill's instructions.

re: How to Claim Dunn & Bradstreet & Great List of Other Business Data Aggregators

Quite a few on here I was not aware of. Great share, thanks.

Re: How to Claim Dunn & Bradstreet & Great List of Other Business Data Aggregators

Ohh this is awesome! Off to go test it out.

Re: How to Claim Dunn & Bradstreet & Great List of Other Business Data Aggregators

Really awesome info! Thanks for sharing cleverlyengaged!

Really awesome post by Bill and I imagine D&B is a really strong citation to have - and to have right, so check it, per Bill's instructions.

BrightLocal gives dandb.com a Citation Authority score of 66 / 100 so that certainly is valuable. That puts it higher than neustarlocaleze.biz, factual.com and elocal.com so I am going to using this.

Thanks for the D&B tip, cleverlyengaged! I believe that free claiming feature has been introduced just recently. About 4 weeks ago, when I last checked, when you tried to claim a listing on D&B, you would get asked to call a phone number. When you call - you'd normally get a very stubborn and sales-driven rep, who wouldn't really be very helpful (unless, of course, you'd like to purchase any of their services).

Regarding the rest of the sites you mentioned, the ones related to Apple Maps aren't really data aggregators. These are marketing agencies that have specific relationships with Apple Maps. These relationships normally allow them to add bulk business data for their clients to Apple Maps, or to claim listings by surpassing the normally required phone verification.

Michael, I am not 100% sure how the BrightLocal Citation Authority score is produced, but here is what is explained on their website:

"It is the SEO "score" for a website and a prediction of their ability to rank well in search engines."

I would assume then that D&B have higher score than Localeze or Factual, because their business listing pages are crawlable, whereas the ones of Localeze and Factual are not. In any case, D&B is an important data aggregators, but not as important as Localeze or Factual in the business data ecosystem.

Cheers!
Nyagoslav

---------- Post Merged at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:56 PM ----------

Thanks for the D&B tip, cleverlyengaged! I believe that free claiming feature has been introduced just recently. About 4 weeks ago, when I last checked, when you tried to claim a listing on D&B, you would get asked to call a phone number. When you call - you'd normally get a very stubborn and sales-driven rep, who wouldn't really be very helpful (unless, of course, you'd like to purchase any of their services).

Regarding the rest of the sites you mentioned, the ones related to Apple Maps aren't really data aggregators. These are marketing agencies that have specific relationships with Apple Maps. These relationships normally allow them to add bulk business data for their clients to Apple Maps, or to claim listings by surpassing the normally required phone verification.

Michael, I am not 100% sure how the BrightLocal Citation Authority score is produced, but here is what is explained on their website:

"It is the SEO "score" for a website and a prediction of their ability to rank well in search engines."

I would assume then that D&B have higher score than Localeze or Factual, because their business listing pages are crawlable, whereas the ones of Localeze and Factual are not. In any case, D&B is an important data aggregators, but not as important as Localeze or Factual in the business data ecosystem.

Cheers!
Nyagoslav

---------- Post Merged at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Cheers!
Nyagoslav

---------- Post Merged at 03:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 03:00 PM ----------

Cheers!
Nyagoslav

Thanks Nyagoslav,

I only noticed the change because I am in the middle of several active campaigns, it was a lucky find. :) To add to your point, I had several clients call 2 - 3 months ago, speaking with sales reps to update the information - and it still wasn't changed until I found the free claim option this week.

On the rest of the sites, I realize now that many are people finders, marketing agencies and not all have good data on businesses. I'm a little out of my element on these sites, as I often don't focus on them in local SEO campaigns. Perhaps you could share your insight on this?

I've narrowed it down to those I believe might be worth fixing. Let me know your thoughts and any additions to these lesser known business directories.

Business Data Aggregators (they pull information from public sources, and are often used as sources for other citations)

1. Equifax: Check Your Credit Report & Credit Score Ratings - similar to D&B. They sell credit reports on businesses. There is incorrect data on a lot of my clients, so I'm in the middle of getting issues fixed.

You can go here to search for your business- Business Credit Reports | Check Company Credit Scores | Free Company Search | SmartBusinessReports

- After searching, you can click on update information
- They will ask a series of detailed questions that only the business owner would likely know. I haven't had any luck with clients getting the questions right and moving to the next step
- So I submitted some support tickets, but they aren't helpful

2. LexisNexis - still not sure if they allow for you to update data directly in their database. Many of these sites will simply tell you they pull from public sources, and they won't disclose which sources or let you fix the data on their site.

- Search for your business by visiting: https://www.knowx.com/eyp/search.jsp
- create an account, then click on Business Profile under business details
- You can now search for your client or business

3. Run My Small Business | Business | Equifax

- they want me to purchase a credit report. Will provide an update on if they allow me to view my business data and get it fixed on their site, but it is unlikely

4. Hoovers - I believe you have to call them to get a business listed
- I would think it would be a similar site in this mix

5. Business Credit Reports | Free Company Profiles | Cortera
- Takes some time to get a business listed, but it also attempting to be an authoritative source of company information

Any others you have in your pocket?

Update on Hoovers.com. Hoovers is owned by D&B, but they don't appear to be communicating to each other.

I have some clients with incorrect data on Hoovers, but accurate data on D&B. I have other clients that are now on D&B, but aren't on Hoovers at all.

Hoovers customer service doesn't seem to be real knowledgeable on why this is... They told me to send an email to customersupport@hoovers.com with any data quality issues. Whether a client has incorrect data or is missing altogether.

The reason they told me, is clients may have opted out of marketing. if they did that, they wouldn't be on Hoovers. Again, doesn't make much sense to me, but send your emails to the above and get your data fixed on Hoovers as well.

Dun & Bradstreet is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with,. The only thing they are concerned about is getting a hold of your money. For over a year now I've been fighting with them to just get a website address changed. I've filled out at more than one 'update' site they have given me. I've been on the phone for hours which they have done nothing but try and sell me packages. They usually start around $1300 and just go down from there. I have submitted to just have them remove my entire listing. They say they will, delete my login account but never remove the listing from the network. Absolutely loath this company. Next step is a complaint to BBB... as if that will do anything.

Dun & Bradstreet is absolutely the worst company I have ever dealt with,. The only thing they are concerned about is getting a hold of your money. For over a year now I've been fighting with them to just get a website address changed. I've filled out at more than one 'update' site they have given me. I've been on the phone for hours which they have done nothing but try and sell me packages. They usually start around $1300 and just go down from there. I have submitted to just have them remove my entire listing. They say they will, delete my login account but never remove the listing from the network. Absolutely loath this company. Next step is a complaint to BBB... as if that will do anything.

Yes, D&B is an absolute nightmare.

Totally agree.

Another D&B program provides a free version of their basic paid package for Veterans for one year. If you have a veteran-owned business, they will set everything up for free -- you do have to ask, and then provide them your DD-214. The salesman wasn't too happy when I did it :)

So after over a year of fighting with D&B to update data correctly, I finally got the issue resolved. How? - File a BBB complaint against them. Two days after they received my complaint, I received a call from a nice woman and she had my problem resolved in five minutes. She also gave me her personal line to call if any further issues arise, so I could avoid their sales & CSR funnel. A year of headaches for something they could of fixed in five minutes to begin with..

So there you have it - having an ongoing issue with D&B file a BBB Complaint that will get a proper response.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom