More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
130115113817116.jpg

If you have clients on Wordpress, this is worth checking out.

Bad enough to have a client lose ranking.

Worse to have a big warning in the SERPS saying: Warning don't click here!

<a href="http://www.searchenginejournal.com/google-blocks-thousands-wordpress-sites-following-malware-attack/122203/">Google Blocks Thousands Of WordPress Sites Following Malware Attack - Search Engine Journal</a>

Security firm Sucuri reports that Google has blacklisted over 11,000 malware-infected WordPress domains, and over 100,000 sites in total have been affected by a new malware campaign from SoakSoak.ru.

By using a vulnerability found in the WordPress plugin RevSlider, SoakSoak modifies a file in a site?s WordPress installation and loads Javascript malware.

RevSlider is often used in WordPress themes, so many site owners may not even know they?re using the plugin, let alone that they need to update it to prevent a malware attack. Moreover, it?s not a plugin that?s easily updated, as Sucuri?s Daniel Cid points out:

Do you have any clients affected?
Or have you heard rumblings about this affecting local sites?

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

130115113817116.jpg

Terence Chang on G+ just commented:

"Few of my sites was affected by the third-party commercial plugin Responsive Slider, which is not removed from all my client sites.

I only have one site installed with the plugin, but the JS injection actually hacked all WP site on the same IP.

Took me hours to clean all of them manually. What a nightmare!"

Scary! Who has that much time to waste, trying to clean up and recover from this???

Yes, actually BlueHost (a popular, low cost web hosting provider) sent out an email warning site owners about the Responsive Slider plugin and asked them to update it or risk being blacklisted.

It's a great plugin used by many photography and gallery type web sites. Hopefully Google doesn't hammer those sites that have already updated this plugin.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom