More threads by Mbrinton

Reaction score
I noticed yesterday, that Google has changed all my clients GMB page's addresses. I thought this was newsworthy for this forum.

For example:

On November 19, our client's address was 418 N 14th Ave (see image, below)

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 2.50.08 PM.jpg

But, upon reloading the info into my system, note how the address has changed to:
418 North 14th Avenue. (see updated image, below). It also automatically updated the lat/long info for that business.

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 2.50.18 PM.jpg

I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this change and to hear comments as to how this might affect things like whether we need to change other directory listings to match, or the client's website schema to match. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 2.50.08 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 2.50.18 PM.jpg

Hi Mitch,

Thanks for bringing up, more info below.

But 1st, what reports are those screenshots from? An internal doc or something you got from Google???

Sam reported this at the end of December, but thanks for bringing up again because Flash a Map Maker RER was going to bring this up on the maps side and try to get more information. Here is the thread:

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/26423-did-google-update-all-address-abbreviation-google-local-maps.html">Did Google update all address abbreviation for Google Local and Maps?</a>

I'll try to ping Flash AKA Gregg and see if I can get more info.

Here is one of my replies over in that thread:

Google often shortens or abbreviates for space and display consistency reasons. Sometimes it's even formatted differently in search than on the the page, than on the base map.

Ideally from now on I believe it's best to use the full spelled out address in GMB and citations on NEW listings you create. Then she'll shorten it if needed in various places.

DO NOT CHANGE ADDRESS IN GMB based on what I'm about to say. As long as address is currently correct in dash, no matter if it's using abbreviations I'd leave it. Because as I stressed in the training you took, any change to NAP can upset the apple cart. So if it ain't broke don't fix it.

And realize Google is much better at figuring out and matching up all the standard abbreviations these days too. So don't sweat it too much. Just whatever is in dash, try to be consistent and use that version everywhere. And on new listings, I would recommend using full spelled out address.

Hi Linda.

Yes, these screenshots are from an internal tool I created that tracks client data, and it was the only way I knew how to show the before and after I had noticed, as all the client's GMB pages are already updated by Google.

I hadn't seen your older post about the topic. Thanks for sharing. All my clients' addressed are now spelled out completely.

Hope this proves helpful. :cool:

"internal tool" OK cool. Just wanted to be sure I was not missing some new view or report or way to hack to get that type of display.

Yes very helpful. Thanks for raising the issue. I emailed Gregg.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom