More threads by cjonesmn

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone knows where Google gets their zip code information from? Do they rely on City/Zip information from the United States Postal Service or do they get this information through some other source?

The reason I ask is because I've noticed in the zip code finder on USPS.com that certain suburban zip codes are actually more closely associated with the nearby major city, and not the suburb.

For example, when searching for cities associated with certain suburban zip codes, the USPS search results state:
"The preferred city for [zip code] is [Major City]. Other acceptable cities for [zip code] are [list of suburbs].

I have a business located in a suburb, but wants to rank well for the major city. Should I use the actual suburban name where they are located OR can I use the major city name for that business?

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom