More threads by joereadseo

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hoping to get your input on the best way to remove a listing from maps?

Here's what I've found so far:

- If you own a verified page and delete the page - your page is removed from your account but a new unclaimed page shows up in maps (I'm interested in how to remove the listing entirely)

- If you have two identical pages that are verified - Google will merge them and therefore remove one of the listings

- Google support will not merge two pages with different address

I'm currently struggling in the case that there are two (or more) maps listings at different addresses but I need to delete one of these.

Interested in hearing your thoughts

Joe

Hi Joe,

Thanks for making your 1st post! :)

"If you own a verified page and delete the page - your page is removed from your account but a new unclaimed page shows up in maps (I'm interested in how to remove the listing entirely)"

You are correct on the 1st part. Deleting from dash just removes from your account. But it does not create a new listing, it's the same one, it just becomes unclaimed and loses any data like images and description and categories you added in the dashboard.

Need a little more info, as my advice could vary somewhat based on the real world scenario.

Are you saying they moved and you are trying to delete the listing at the old location?

If that's the case then no, Google won't delete listings. If there are mentions of that business at the old location anywhere on the web then Google feels like they also want a record of that business to be accurate.

So the only way to semi get rid of it and the proper protocol is to mark it closed and note that they relocated and provide the new/correct listing.

Once it's marked closed that will largely pull it out of KW search but if someone searches for the business name or phone # they will still find it but it will be marked as relocated with a link to the new listing.

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the response, certainly helps!

My reference to 'new page' was due to the unclaimed page acquiring a new URL once your page is deleted from dash.

Yes this would primarily be for older locations that are now closed and the business exists elsewhere.

Couple of extra questions on the same topic if you don't mind me asking:

1. "... note that they relocated and provide the new/correct listing."
- Would you mention this and link to the new page in the business description? Or is there a better more prominent place for this?

2. Would you keep hold of the page at all times? Even after marking as closed?

3. If there is a verified listing for an old location that you do not have ownership over. What would your process be for claiming the listing and marking as closed?

- I ask as you can't take phone calls at an old number or postcards at an old address so claiming can be tricky

4. Similar to the above, claiming an unclaimed page and making edits does not take effect until the page has been verified. Do you think marking the page as permanently closed would take effect at this stage?

Apologies for all the questions, and thanks in advance for your response,

Joe

1. "]note that they relocated and provide the new/correct listing."
- Would you mention this and link to the new page in the business description? Or is there a better more prominent place for this?

No I'm talking about, when you mark the listing closed, you indicate it there

2. Would you keep hold of the page at all times? Even after marking as closed?

No I'd delete from dash, then close on maps.

3. If there is a verified listing for an old location that you do not have ownership over. What would your process be for claiming the listing and marking as closed?

- I ask as you can't take phone calls at an old number or postcards at an old address so claiming can be tricky

No you don't claim. Just mark as closed/relocated.

4. Similar to the above, claiming an unclaimed page and making edits does not take effect until the page has been verified. Do you think marking the page as permanently closed would take effect at this stage?

No you don't need to claim to mark closed. However it can take a few tries from a few users in different accounts and good data/proof that the business is closed. (Otherwise people could maliciously close a business that was still open.)

But if it just moved and you link to new listing AND are sure the address is correct on the website, that should be enough proof.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom