More threads by Matt Woodacre

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I have a client who has a claimed Google+ Local listing but has no idea what the e-mail address or password was that was used to do it or when it was done. I don't think there is any hope of them finding out either. What would you say is the best way to tackle this?

cheers

Matt

Hi Matt,

Push push push to try and find out what that account was :p Super important.

Can you post a link to the live listing so I can check something for you?

There is no way to tell for certain, but I would put money down and say that listing isn't claimed/verified anywhere currently.

Tell tale signs that it's not claimed include:

• No business description
  • No website
  • No Photos
  • When you hit "Manage this Page" it takes you to a page with what you see below.
  • linda forum 2.png
  • Normally, a claimed listing will take you to a Google Places login page when you hit "Manage this page" if it's already claimed.
Anyway, if there is no way to get the login, you really have no choice but to claim it in a new account.

linda forum 2.png

Unfortunately when I tried to claim it went to the sign in screen so I figured it must have been claimed.

cheers

Matt

Interesting. I wonder if it's different for me because I'm not in the UK.

Don't know. So if the listing is claimed (and I cannot access it) should I create a new account and use it to create a duplicate listing? If so, how do I then get rid of the old listing?

cheers

Matt

---------- Post Merged at 11:14 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:14 PM ----------

Don't know. So if the listing is claimed (and I cannot access it) should I create a new account and use it to create a duplicate listing? If so, how do I then get rid of the old listing?

cheers

Matt

No. Claim the existing listing and optimize it.

Is the NAP info correct on the existing listing?

No the name should be "learning ladders nursery" not "learning ladders early years" and the address has loads of forward slashes in it for some reason.

No the name should be "learning ladders nursery" not "learning ladders early years" and the address has loads of forward slashes in it for some reason.
If the name is different just mark the old one as closed and open a new feature with the new name.

Andrew, if it's just a small name "fix", don't you think it would be a better idea to claim the existing listing fix the minor NAP problems, and ensure that all of the citations are fixed to match up as well?

I'm on the fence with this one.

Andrew, if it's just a small name "fix", don't you think it would be a better idea to claim the existing listing fix the minor NAP problems, and ensure that all of the citations are fixed to match up as well?

I'm on the fence with this one.
Claiming the existing listing is not the best course of action as the place has changed names. The main purpose for closing the old listing and opening a new one is to avoid bots. By simply changing the names where the change isn't a minor one or one to fix a spelling mistake is not something I would recommend. "Early Years" and "Nursery" are discrete names that mean different things in different context. I'm not sure how they're used in the UK, but I suspect if they're the same as in the US then they have different definitions and context in a childcare setting.

But what about the fact that Jade just announced for moves you no longer need to open/close but can just edit? Moves and name changes have pretty much carried the same rules.

So I'm with Colan, esp since part of the name is the same so it seems more like a name correction than a complete name change.

Thank you Andrew Linda & Colan. I will wait until later today to see if Andrew replies and if not I will claim the existing listing and correct it. Then let you know how it goes.

cheers

Matt

Sorry was sedated after medical procedure yesterday and didn't think that all the way through or was not clear in my reply.

IF it was already claimed and IF the name was slightly wrong like that, I would edit. (I think I was trying to make more the general point about the name not being THAT diff and about Jade's change in the way moved locations need to be handled.)

BUT since we are talking new claim and since the address is ALSO really funky and wrong too, I think I would create new correct listing. After it's live, then mark old as closed and reference the new listing URL.

But let's wait and be sure Andrew agrees, but that's what he said his last post too.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom