More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
mapspam.jpg

Have you looked through the new edit details and report a problem features yet? Buried in there is a new, easier way to report spam.
You just need to know where to find it.

Google was going to do a post about how to report spam, so I was holding off on this post. But since they haven't yet, thought I'd share for anyone that has not figured it out yet.

Screen Shot - Reporting Spam in Report a Problem

NewReportSpam.jpg

Here are the steps:

1 On the listing click "edit details". (That will take you to report a problem on Google Maps.)

2 If it's a keyword stuffed name or some other issue edit here.

3To report spam, at top where it says "Place is permanently closed or doesn't exist".
Click Yes.
(I know, not very intuitive.)

That opens up the menu to report fakes, spam, dupes and private listings.

4 Then click spam. (Or select a different option if it's another issue.)

Unfortunately it does not give you an empty field to explain. Ideally I would like to say search for this phone # to see a bunch of other fake name listings so I don't have to go in a report each one individually.

I reported this listing as spam yesterday: https://plus.google.com/115272522986664671793/about?hl=en&gl=us.
That Chiro has a bunch of KW stuffed names, dupe listings and I've reported them before. Let's track and see if Google nukes this one and how long it takes.

For really bad spam problems that are too important to wait and hope that Report A Problem works, advanced users can try reporting through Map Maker.

Joy wrote an advanced tutorial about it featuring lots of tips from Dan Austin.

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-map-maker/26870-tips-reporting-spam-mapmaker.html">Tips for Reporting Spam in MapMaker</a>

EDITED TO ADD: Of course now I need to add to this post that fact that our spam research and discovery process was just crippled but by the removal of Local Search from G+. The spam dupes for that Chiro above were so easy to find and research in + Local. Now in Map Maker it would be something like 27 extra clicks to do all the research. (For instance if this was a potential new client and you needed to see which listings were claimed, which had different #s, if there were any other violations, etc. So you could decide if you would even accept the client or how much extra work would be involved to clean up the mess.) :mad:

Here is the post about the changes: <a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google/31250-rip-google-local-search-more-changes.html">RIP Google+ Local Search - More Changes</a>

(NOTE: For the sake of keeping topics organized please don't comment on the missing +Local search in this thread, make comments about that in the thread above.

What do you think about the new report a problem?

Did you know where to report spam? Have you tried it yet?

<meta property="og:type" content="article"><meta property="og:title" content=""><meta property="og:description" content="">
<meta property="og:image" content="">

mapspam.jpg

NewReportSpam.jpg

So now with the end of G+ Local and now the suspension of MapMaker editing capability...now what?

Where will these reports go? G admits they are overwhelmed with edit requests and suspending MM edits for the next few weeks, at least.

Anyways, it has been months since I received any feedback from MM on edits I suggested based on real world info that I documented and was easily verified independently.

I didn't think this problem cropped up in Australia, as we don't have shady lawyers and locksmiths like you seem to have in the states.

However, one of the clients I did a 360 virtual tour for was looking for an emergency plumber and I discovered one company had created about 50 listings all over Melbourne.

I marked them as spam instead of doesn't exist, even though I was not sure which one was correct to choose. I think after 20+ fake listings, spam was the right choice?

Yes, spam is the right choice :)

@Adam. Riiiiiight. You sure about that? ;)

And yes, please report the maps spam you do see. It's a thankless job and I'm glad to have company!

While I don't have any proof of it, I often wonder if the reason mapmaker hasn't been turned back on for Australia is because of the amount of maps spam. Either that or enough of the RL's were a bit bent... Will never know.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom