More threads by Andrew Forster

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Have a question regarding using unit numbers within Google Places:

According to Google:

If you need to specify a mail box or suite number within your physical location, please list your physical address in Address Line 1, and put your mail box or suite number in Address Line 2.

http://support.google.com/places/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=107528However I have done this in the past, where I put the customers unit number on the second line. Problem was, the map marker location wasn't accurate and it messed everything up.

Typically, we have put the unit number on the same line as the address, and we've had a ton of success with this with our clients, and even our own company. I'm curious what you guys do, and what you've had success with. It's funny though, because even if you add the unit number in Places dash (doesn't matter which line) Google typically chooses not to show it in the local results anyway ...

Anyway, any help is always appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great topic, Andrew.

I've had success with both - that is, having the suite # in the 1st line or in the 2nd line. I guess it's preferable to have it in the 2nd line just for the sake of 100% compliance. But when I get a client whose listing follows the other guidelines to a T but who has the suite # in the first line, I'm not going to mess with it and cause him/her to have to re-verify. I just don't think this is an area where Google is going to take you to the tool shed.

My rule of thumb is if it's already WRONG and on line 1, check everything carefully and if it's ranking and has reviews, 'possibly' don't rock the boat to fix it.

HOWEVER be advised that aside from the fact it's a guideline violation having suite on line one, CAN cause major data issues.

See this important and crazy post:

"The listing address was pinned out in the ocean off of the coast of Africa instead of being in a city in America. The problem was completely due to the fact that someone had listed the Suite number on Address line 1, instead of Address line 2." (Read the rest, pretty enlightening.)

Also be advised even a minor change like moving suite from line 1 to 2, even though it will display the same on the live listing, has been known to cause loss of reviews and/or rankings.

So that's why I always say "if it ain't broke don't fix it." Check everything carefully to be sure no data problems. Check map marker to be sure it's in the right place. Then carefully weigh everything to see if it's worth the risk.

OR if it's a new client with zero reviews and they are buried on page 5 anyway, then maybe it's worth it to correct and see if it helps - and can't hurt in that case.

BUT IF NEW LISTING I would def set it up right and put suite on line 2 per the guidelines.

I usually enter the suite number in the second address field and have never had any problems with it. Google will show the listing as "123 Main St. #100", as it should. What I have noticed, though, is that other online directories aren't so smart. Some don't have a field for a suite number, and even when some do, the suite number doesn't show up in the listing. So it's something that you have to keep your eye on after the listing goes live. I just try to make sure that the NAP matches exactly as Google has it.

Hmmm, well it's strange because for our own business we have the suite number in line 1 and we're ranking quite nicely for certain local terms, as well as some of our other local clients. AS Linda stated 'if it aien't broke, DON'T fix it! and god those are words to live by in local ...

On the other hand, I have a client who ranks locally for ALL his locations but 1, and his suite number is on line 1 for the ranked locations, as well as the location that isn't ranking. I'm wondering if it's worth switching it to line 2 as he's not currently ranking in local and has no reviews for that location anyway .... only issue is, I merged his Places page into Google+ Business back in September, though the pin never came and it's in a pending status...

Andrew - there's a near limitless number of things to do to get that listing to rank in local, but changing the address is probably not one of them.

The issue I find, is in Canada, we always state addresses using the unit number first. This accounts for yellow pages, and any other directory.

For example my company would be listed in Canada as:

#4218 10230 Jasper Ave NW

In the U.S -

10230 Jasper Ave NW #4218

So it makes sense to put the unit number on the second line if you live in the US, but not so much in Canada. I know those are Google's 'quality' guidelines but it doesn't apply as much to Canadian businesses.

Thanks guys for getting this thread going. I was in the middle of working on a client's Google local page and they had the suite number listed in the first line. I wasn't sure what was the best route, so I looked it up on this forum. Once again what a valuable resource this is.

The issue I find, is in Canada, we always state addresses using the unit number first. This accounts for yellow pages, and any other directory.

For example my company would be listed in Canada as:

#4218 10230 Jasper Ave NW

In the U.S -

10230 Jasper Ave NW #4218

So it makes sense to put the unit number on the second line if you live in the US, but not so much in Canada. I know those are Google's 'quality' guidelines but it doesn't apply as much to Canadian businesses.

I believe most Countries generally put the Suit# before the address.

You will notice that Google Map Maker makes you put the suite# first. Maybe that's where Google is headed. Something to think about anyway.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom