More threads by djbaxter

djbaxter

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
cPanel?s Site Software Addon Disables WordPress Auto Updates
by Jeff Chandler, WP Tavern
May 14, 2015

A little more than two months ago, Derek Munson, who goes by the username Drumology2001 published a thread in the WordPress.org support forums. While performing maintenance on several WordPress sites on his virtual private server, Munson discovered a number of them running outdated versions. Versions ranged from 3.9 to 4.1 with at least one site using WordPress 3.9.2.

After completing a number of troubleshooting techniques suggested by volunteers on the WordPress support forum, Munson installed Wordfence Security, a WordPress security plugin. One of Wordfence?s noteworthy features is its scanner. It compares clean WordPress core files to those on the server and notifies the user if it detects a difference. Results of the scan shows three files had been changed.

wp-admin/includes/update.php
wp-admin/update-core.php
wp-admin/includes/class-wp-upgrader.php

These files were only changed on WordPress sites that were installed using cPanel?s Site Software addon.

Read more...

Thanks for the heads up. Waiting to hear from our developer if we experienced any similar instances. I'll share if there are additional insights.

Personally, I think the new AUTO UPDATE feature from WP is a very bad idea because it does not permit anyone to create a backup prior to WordPress being updated and that all in of itself is creating a situation that could effectively take down someones livelihood.

Since that functionality was released some months ago I have always prevented WordPress from performing Automatic Updates without my approval by disabling that functionality in the wp-config.php file.

Solid point Campbell. You really need to back up the site, since there are cases where the theme or other plugins won't play well with the update. If you install a theme, but don't have access to update to the latest version (weird situation, but I've seen it happen) then you might see some major functionality issues with the site.

Also, you should really read the release notes prior to updating (goes for plugins too).

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom