More threads by Gsmithmike

Reaction score
I have done couple of searches with specific keywords, and it is really sad that i came up with the worst search results. The whole idea is to get relevant search results but unfortunately in most cases not that i get irrelevant results, but Ugly websites which are not friendly at all. Despite the fact that we have google hummingbird, and last local update still most of search results in first page are completely waste!

I will give example, "Plumbing Service" - About 4 to 5 of websites on first page which rank pretty well are not even responsive nor mobile friendly and they are so FAKE that it is hard to understand why someone should click on it.

It seems Bing and Yahoo are doing much better job. I hope somewhere in future we see a good competitor for Google who dominates SE for now.

Yo Mike,

I get it dude. It sucks to have rank, then lose it. However, that's part of the fun IMO. The game, the challenge. And lets be honest. If you have had any success online then Google has made you a lot of money. Still sucks to get knocked out and when you're being beat by a business that seems inferior. With that said I have a couple of pointers that may help.

1st - I recommend a Google map with Google + Location page for each city that you have a physical address. I can see one for your San Francisco page but even it just shows the address. That type of map isn't very helpful for optimization purposes. The point of the map other than directions is to tie your Google + Local page to the website.

2nd- try changing urls from Best Plumber in Dallas | Mr. Speedy Plumbing & Rooter, Inc. to http://mrspeedyplumbing.com/state/city/service. Using /location/ is a waste of 55/70 characters displayed in serps. It doesn't send any signal to Google where CA or TX would.

The thing about Bing, Yelp and Yahoo is that they don't make any clients money - hence they will rarely make me money. ; )

Yo Mike,

I get it dude. It sucks to have rank, then lose it. However, that's part of the fun IMO. The game, the challenge. And lets be honest. If you have had any success online then Google has made you a lot of money. Still sucks to get knocked out and when you're being beat by a business that seems inferior. With that said I have a couple of pointers that may help.

1st - I recommend a Google map with Google + Location page for each city that you have a physical address. I can see one for your San Francisco page but even it just shows the address. That type of map isn't very helpful for optimization purposes. The point of the map other than directions is to tie your Google + Local page to the website.

2nd- try changing urls from Best Plumber in Dallas | Mr. Speedy Plumbing & Rooter, Inc. to http://mrspeedyplumbing.com/state/city/service. Using /location/ is a waste of 55/70 characters displayed in serps. It doesn't send any signal to Google where CA or TX would.

The thing about Bing, Yelp and Yahoo is that they don't make any clients money - hence they will rarely make me money. ; )

Great points, but my question was more to learn about what others think about Google and how it performs and shows Search Results.
The point about changing the URL structure, if i wanna do that then i have to create a single page for State, and then City and then the service. and honestly i think google evaluates better when it gets to the conversion page or the landing page faster, which in this case is the plumbing service in dallas. I can change it to /plumber-dallas/ how is that?

My personal experience with Google has been satisfactory and nothing that would make me switch. But if what you say is true, then you should see a natural migration to other providers who do a better job. As I see it, there is nobody that does search as well as Google does.

As an SEO, it is actually a good thing if Google continues its monopoly. It's easier to focus on SEO for one site rather than make your site compatible with the algos of Google, Bing, Yahoo and probably Facebook in future.

Hey Mike,

Me personally I think GOOGLE is nothing but a internet dictator that is responsible for the destabilization of local business economies across this country as well as other nations and this is being done deliberately in attempts to kill of small business and free enterprise so that only corporations remain which will ultimately lead to a 2 classification systems of masters and slaves where only those that have very deep pockets will rule and control the internet and the rest of us will be unable to compete in the local economy or global market.

Regretfully, you will not find many people who have enough balls to speak the truth about GOOGLE because they are too afraid of getting black listed by them and having their business ruined. That right there says that GOOGLE is a evil entity and that they need to go!

Google search favors those who pay google and anyone that says differently is in complete denial about what is going on.

CASE IN POINT: Google says that LINKS are bad and Google PENALIZES website owners for links BUT....GOOGLE made 33 Billion Dollars last year doing what? SELLING LINKS!

SEE HOW THAT WORKS?

SO TO ANSWER YOUR QUESTION, YES, GOOGLE SUCKS AND SO DO THEIR SEARCH RESULTS AND THEIR MAPS!

NOTE: In a real democracy, everyone would have the same chance at succeeding and it would not be reserved only for those with deep pockets!

My personal experience with Google has been satisfactory and nothing that would make me switch. But if what you say is true, then you should see a natural migration to other providers who do a better job. As I see it, there is nobody that does search as well as Google does.

As an SEO, it is actually a good thing if Google continues its monopoly. It's easier to focus on SEO for one site rather than make your site compatible with the algos of Google, Bing, Yahoo and probably Facebook in future.

I agree with you but I also have to add one important fact, "If you have done a descent on site optimization on your website, then your website will definitely rank higher in Bing and Yahoo as they value on site optimization and factors rather than google's idiotic algorithm. and i am against the monopoly!

---------- Post Merged at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:24 AM ----------

I do agree with you, and I appreciate sharing real thoughts about Google and how it moves.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom