Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correct NAP for Canadian Businesses with Suite

Hi everyone. I am new to local search and have found great insight from information here and online. I am new to local seo and trying to get things set up right.

I have found a few posts about this but nothing as definitive as I would like.

I am working with a business in Canada who has an address that is formatted as follows (this is an example and not the same address).

Legal Business Name
    100-15 Generic Street
    Vancouver, BC V5L 3X6
    555-555-5555

The "100" as listed above, is the suite number.

I have read the current google guidelines that state:
    "If you need to specify a mailbox or suite number within your physical location, please list your physical address in Address Line 1, and put your mailbox or suite number in Address Line 2."

This business already has citations set up with the suite number as listed above, which is the correct "legal" postal address recognized in Canada.

Should I correct all of the former citations with a NAP that looks like this?

Legal Business Name
    15 Generic Street
    Suite 100
    Vancouver, BC V5L 3X6
    555-555-5555

Or should I use the original NAP?

Legal Business Name
    100-15 Generic Street
    Vancouver, BC V5L 3X6
    555-555-5555

Thank you for your help.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Correct NAP for Canadian Businesses with Suite

Hi Tyler,

Unfortunately it sounds like you will most likely want to update anything on the web using the address format starting with the suite number that you are able to.

Here is some info to help you decide:

Check Google.com/maps by searching the address and see what formats pull up the right location and be aware of the format Google maps might change it to after a search, on the left sidebar.

If Google is already recognizing that address as "15 Generic Street" as in your example, it is usually best to go with the format they recognize instead of trying to fight it.

The best way that search engines can recognize addresses is by finding the longest matching prefix that is most common. For example "15 Generic Street", "15 Generic St". - your common matching prefix is "15 Generic" - so starting with a building number and then a street name is the best practice and adding anything to the beginning of that can make it much more difficult for search engines to identify and associate that as your business address.

Hopefully that helps