Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Clean Up Yahoo Local Mess

A local company contacted me trying to figure out a way to clean the mess on Yahoo local search.

The company has 3 offices in Arizona. The yahoo local search results shows mixed wrong phone number area code, wrong website, wrong name and duplicated listing.

The company already has verified Yelp, Google, Bing, Yp and few other business directory listings. However, the verified Yelp listing shows the wrong name on Yahoo Local for some reasons.

Is it better to pay Yext to remove some of the wrong listing or use Yahoo's localworks?

What the company are afraid of is that Yext will create a new entry on many directories that will cause duplication.

The company would like to remove those and only shows the correct one. What's the easiest way to do so?

I searched this forum and haven't found a good solution.

Thanks!

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Clean Up Yahoo Local Mess

I'd be more concerned about finding out where Yahoo is getting the data from and cleaning it up there. Yahoo listings are a giant pain to get rid of but I would try doing it manually before paying Yext.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I would pay Yext, and I am not a fan of focusing much budget and/or resources on non-Google citations.

A couple of caveats, Yext is a client of ours and I think citation consistency is overhyped and have a big study about it coming out soon
    Dan Leibson
    Vice President of Local & Product
    Local SEO Guide Inc.
    @danleibson
    + Dan Leibson

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Here is what I found so far.

The company used to pay DexKnows. The company has since changed name.

The old data were distributed through Localeze and published on many directories.

Now, the company stop paying DexKnows, since it is NOT generating promised leads. The old data are still existing on may directories that we don't have access to. The bigger issues is there are duplicated listing (new name, old name) all over the place.

Talked to Yelp sales rep, they have no clue why Yahoo Local load Yelp data with different company name. Looks like a third party company screw up the name and phone number area code.

I am debating if I should go with BrightLocal. I was told by one of their sales reps today saying they also have issues dealing with Yahoo Local. They can't create and edit the record, once it's on Yahoo Local.

Ouch!

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Joy. I would be more concerned with the source of the bad listing data. I would start by looking for all of the listings you are aware of (good and bad) in Localeze, Infogroup, Factual and Acxiom. If you find bad listings there, you can be certain they are being populated in a lot of places.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Dan, I'm not understanding your reply. Why would you pay Yext... and then say that non-Google citations aren't that important?

tc2 - Yahoo Localworks IS Yext. I wouldn't bother with either. Myles is right - focus on the big four first and make sure everything is clean there. Moz Local does a good job of that if you don't want to do it by hand.

We've had horrible experience with Yahoo. We are surmising that it's the next thing to be shut down, because it's clear there is nobody mining that store.

We've been evaluating citation sites for most of this year and writing up our experiences. If you are interested - Citation

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Barnett View Post
    Dan, I'm not understanding your reply. Why would you pay Yext... and then say that non-Google citations aren't that important?
    I'm not sure I follow. I both think that non-Google citations aren't nearly as important as a lot of people make them out to be and also don't completely ignore them. Like with most things the answer is somewhere in the middle. Yext is relatively cheap, quite effective and takes little time so we can focus on more beneficial local SEO things.
    Dan Leibson
    Vice President of Local & Product
    Local SEO Guide Inc.
    @danleibson
    + Dan Leibson

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Dan,

You're the first person I've ever heard describe Yext as cheap ;-)

We generally break down Citations as follows:

(1) Google My Business - this is a MUST do, first thing
    (2) Big 4 - Acxiom/Localeze/Infogroup/Factual - we recommend Moz Local for this. This also covers many of the "larger" directories like yp, superpages, yelp, 4SQ.
    (3) Vertical / Focused Citations - since this varies per industry and there usually aren't that many, we usually recommend doing these by hand
    (4) Everybody else - if the rest of the citations out there matter to the business, you can use a service like Yext, UBL, etc.

So - given our view on things, Yext is lower in the priority scale. They generally cannot do #2 and #3 anyway (at least no better than Moz which is significantly lower in price). Given your comment that Google is really the most important thing and the rest isn't nearly as critical, that's how I came up with my confusion about Yext.

I do agree completely that exhaustive citation work is not worth it - just Google and the major citations sites is usually sufficient. 80/20 rule.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

"Relatively cheap" as in the opportunity cost of paying for Yext to automatically take care of the headache & correct the data vs you spending valuable time on an activity that will yield minimal gains. You're better off working on a project that will bring in more revenue than spending time on something that can be overwritten and corrected for $20/mo or less.

In the grand scheme of things Yext is a less expensive way to correct some of these headaches, but most people are sticker-shocked by the lump-one-time pricing model they have. No different than paying for hosting with Bluehost or Hostgator. They charge your card once, but you have the product for 3 years. Mathematically it works out to ~$4 per month, but you don't have the luxury of monthly billing.
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Barnett View Post
    Dan,

(2) Big 4 - Acxiom/Localeze/Infogroup/Factual - we recommend Moz Local for this. This also covers many of the "larger" directories like yp, superpages, yelp, 4SQ.
    Hi All: As a SBO, I thought Moz Local was the answer to my prayers and I have some sad news to report - it is not. I have been working with Moz for the better part of 6 months now and the results are less than optimal. If you look at the Moz dashboard you feel like a rock-star. 88% accuracy! 92% accuracy!

But...

if you actually go out into the real world and see how you're listed on Infogroup or do a search on yellowpages, you will be shocked and saddened. I have 6 local listings (3 in NJ and 3 in Illinois) and here are the results of my "local lookup" based on the sites I was directed to by Moz tech support (who are quite nice and helpful by the way so shout out to them)

1. Infogroup - 1 of 6 incorrect (Montclair, NJ) but I had used ExpressUpdate way back when before Moz Local was a thing so I suspect the listings are correct because I entered them.
    2. Acxiom - 2 of 6 incorrect (Montclair, NJ and Naperville, IL actually shows both the new and old address in Lisle, IL for this listing)
    3. Nuestar/Localeze - 4 of 6 incorrect (Bridgewater, Montclair, Montclair and Naperville all show both the current as well as old address)
    4. Factual no way for me as an end user to search this.
    5. Foursquare all correct as I added them
    6. Superpages - (1st Tier) 3 of 6 incorrect (Morristown, Montclair and Naperville all showing old address)
    7. Best of the Web - (2nd Tier) No way to search this.
    8. Citysearch 4 of 6 incorrect (Bridgewater not listed at all, Montclair shows old address, Chicago 200 S Wacker appears twice and Naperville shows both old address in Lisle and new one in Naperville)
    9. CityGrid 2 of 6 incorrect (Montclair shows old address and Naperville shows both old address in Lisle and new one in Naperville)
    10. Bing all correct as I entered them.

When you think about it, that's a 33% error rate (16 out of 48 listings I could search). And add to the fact that FourSquare and Bing were entered manually by me so if you remove those, it's closer to a 50% error rate.

It's looking more and more like manual is the only way to go as Yext is unaffordable for me and Moz just isn't cutting it.

I've had my data pushed out to the aggregators once again and was told to give it a week or two to see if anything updated but that's not giving me hope.

My favorite quote from Moz tech support:

"Though we really do love our partners unfortunately, we are beholden to their databases to accept all of the information, so if they choose not to accept the information it can be really problematic."

Yes sir, it can...

I am open to suggestions, after I stop crying on my keyboard...
    Joe

---------- Post Merged at 10:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:49 AM ----------

I have found a place to submit your issue to here:

https://yahoo.uservoice.com/forums/298488

Not sure of it's efficacy but it's worth a shot. Maybe?