More threads by ccbackus

Reaction score
I've created a "review sheet" and a separate e-mail "review request" for a client, and the link for Google Maps takes about 4 clicks to get through to where I can write a review. Here's a similar map link: https://goo.gl/maps/KhNDbEMSzDo.

When I open up the link by itself from my iPhone e-mail client, it takes me directly to the Google Maps app. I click on the company name and can quickly scroll down to leave a review.

When I use the same URL as an embedded hyperlink behind a image of a Google icon, then it opens up Safari, and then it takes me about 4 clicks to get through to where I can leave a review.

Any thoughts on how to make it simpler for clients? Should I just put the hyperlinks underneath the icons instead of embedding them? I was trying to make it easier for the end user, but it's not working. (However, it worked fine for the other three review sites I included as options.)

FYI, either link from Chrome on my desktop yields the same results, and I can leave a review easily.​

Thanks for posting a new thread Craig. I'll Tweet this and see if we can get some smart folks to share the best way to make this easier.

Hi Craig,

I agree that targeting the Google Maps app on mobile can be the most streamlined and effective way of getting G+ reviews. I say stick with it! :)

You might try using a URL that specifically targets the Google Maps app on iOS, using the comgooglemaps protocol. For your example business, it's something like:
comgooglemaps://?q=White%20Chapel%20Estate,7601%20Precinct%20Line%20Rd%20,North%20Richland%20Hills,TX,76182&center=32.885396,-97.18653&zoom=15

To target the Google Maps app on Android, you'd build a slightly different link:
geo://32.885396,-97.18653?q=White%20Chapel%20Estate,7601%20Precinct%20Line%20Rd%20,North%20Richland%20Hills,TX,76182

This is the approach we take with our platform, and it has served us (our users) well. But we have the advantage of having reviewers on a landing page where we can auto-detect their device and serve them the right link. I haven't tried your specific approach.

Jon

Last edited:
Thanks Jon,

Was just thinking about pinging you to see if you could help on this one.
Figured you'd have some good advice.

Thanks!

Was just thinking about pinging you to see if you could help on this one.
Figured you'd have some good advice.

Thanks, Linda! Ping me anytime. My "social listening" skills are pretty lackluster these days, LOL.

Jon, did you know you can subscribe to just this section of the forum - the reviews forum and be alerted by email when new review discussions pop up?

Jon, did you know you can subscribe to just this section of the forum - the reviews forum and be alerted by email when new review discussions pop up?

Ah! One day I'll get the hang of how this Internet thingy works ;) Subscribed.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom