More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
If you manage lots of listings (or maybe even just one) you've likely had a case of Google displaying an image other than the one you select. Or sometimes even a really bad image you don't want showing up in the Knowledge Graph front and center.

In one of the recent updates Google gave us the ability to mark our "Preferred" image.
But that's only a suggestion and the algo will still pick the image it thinks is best.

Matt Riggleman asked a question at the Pro Community that turned into a really good discussion,
so I wanted to be sure to share it here.

There are a few good references to using Schema, to help influence what shows in the Knowledge Graph.

<a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MattRiggleman/posts/Q7Bb2hoEAKr">Discussion @ Local Search Pros Community</a>

Matt Riggleman asked:

Is there any way to tell Google which image to use for your branded search box in universal search? Right now, they're referencing our store walkthrough (good stuff) along with an outdated picture of the front of our building (not so good). Newer, better images do exist in our business profile. Thanks for any help you can provide!

Weighing in with some great insights were:

Gerry Foster, Jim Hinman, Bryan Heckler, Rachel Rossicone, Matt Riggleman, Chad Kimball, JD Milburn & Chad Russell.

I replied with something that many users don't know. Google does not like Logos.

I hear this frustration a lot at the forum too. Important re logos. You said: "but, at least for this purpose, Google doesn't reference our logo at all."

If you have a logo selected as your preferred image, know that Google has a bias against logos and will almost always pick a photo instead. Which one is a crap shoot. So if logo is selected I'd switch preference to one of your images.

So if you've ever had image problems like this, head over to hear what all the wise pros have to say.
<a href="https://plus.google.com/u/0/+MattRiggleman/posts/Q7Bb2hoEAKr">Discussion @ Local Search Pros Community</a>

Any questions? Any other tips to add?

I would add that CONSUMERS hate your logo also. They love to see staff, your office inside and out, company parties etc. Visitors are just like you Mr business owner. They don't sit on facebook and instagram all day looking at logos.

Logos on GMB pages are a lame thing to try and hack. Even if you pull it off, the rest of the world thinks it's lame. The logo bounce rate is .000001 seconds IMO.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom