More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I'm going to share a treasure trove of important tips and insights today.
Read on to pick up some solid gold nuggets that would have cost you over a thousand to learn.

Somehow I missed the SMX Liveblogs from Bruce Clay. Virginia Nussey always does an excellent job of boiling presentations down to the most important parts you need to know. So without having to pay a ticket or travel expenses - here is the very best knowledge and advice that came from some of the top minds in local at SMX.

1st up: Local Search Q&A with Top Local SEOs

Matt McGee from Search Engine Land moderated and the speakers were: Mary Bowling, (@MaryBowling), Joy Hawkins (@joyannehawkins), Casey Meraz (@caseymeraz) and Andrew Shotland (@localseoguide).

The speakers covered some of the hottest questions of the day in local search.

<ul><li>Why did Google switch to the 3 pack from the 7 pack?</li>
<li>Are you guys also seeing a drop-off in clicks?</li>
<li>What advice are you giving to businesses now? Especially for those who had visibility at spots 4 or 5 or 6?</li>
<li>Are virtual offices allowed?</li>
<li>Does anyone have statistics regarding how clicks are distributed between Google Maps and Google organic?</li>
<li>Links vs. citations?</li>
<li>What other things like scholarships and sponsorship of community organizations can businesses do?</li>
<li>For multiple business locations, do you create separate directory listings?</li>
<li>How do we avoid the difficulties of every time you make a change to a locksmith listing it gets marked as spam?</li>
<li>How accurate is the data in the GMB dashboard?</li>
<li>What’s the optimal time frame for posting new content to a GMB page?</li>
<li>How are apps affecting local?</li>
<li>How are you getting reviews?</li>
</ul>
Head over to find all the answers: <a href="http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/smx-liveblog-local-search-qa-with-top-local-experts/">Local Search Q&A with Top Local SEOs</a>

Next up: Sherlock Investigates Local SEO: Solving Local Ranking Mysteries

This one featured 3 of the above speakers: Mary Bowling, (@MaryBowling), Joy Hawkins (@joyannehawkins), Casey Meraz (@caseymeraz) and Andrew Shotland (@localseoguide).

Mary Bowling shared: “The Case of the Hidden Merchants”.
Her slide deck is embedded there.

Joy Hawkins presented: “Why Doesn’t My Business Rank in the Maps Section of Google?”
I shared Joy's deck here: <a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-local/37938-dont-rank-google-local-3-pack-here-some-hidden-reasons-joy-hawkins.html">Don't Rank in the Google Local 3 Pack? Here are Some Hidden Reasons</a>

Andrew Shotland covered: The Case of the Mysterious Local Entities

Click through to see how they solved the mysteries:
<a href="http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/sherlock-goes-local-how-we-solved-3-local-ranking-mysteries/">Sherlock Investigates Local SEO: Solving Local Ranking Mysteries</a>

Head over to read both liveblogs and watch the decks. I guarantee you will learn some new tricks and tactics you can put to use in your business or for your clients!

Re: Solving Local Ranking Mysteries & Local Expert QA - SMX Liveblogs via Bruce Clay

Bruce Clay did a great job of covering the session. Thanks for posting Linda.

Re: Solving Local Ranking Mysteries & Local Expert QA - SMX Liveblogs via Bruce Clay

Hey Joy,

In reference to this answer:

"A tip shared in the latest Moz Local Search Ranking Factors report: If you go to the local finder and hover over your competitors, there will be links under each competitor, and you may get an insight into what you might be missing."

What Local Finder did you mean?

Joshua,

You get to the Local Finder when you click the "more" underneath the 3 pack. The links I was referencing are highlighted in the pic below.

Local Finder.jpg

Local Finder.jpg

Ahh, didn't know it was being called that.

Thanks!

Hi Joshua

During the TC summit last month Mike Blumenthal (who coined the phrase originally I believe) asked Google what they're calling that particular display screen. They didn't have a name for it, so 'Local Finder' is now the official term :)

These are great resources for beginner consultants as well as several advanced tactics to get around Google's less than friendly local environment. Thanks for rounding this up, Linda.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom