More threads by LauraM001

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a long time lurker here at Local Search Forum but I have finally decided to register, primarily because I have just come across something I was quite shocked by and I didn't know if this was common or unique to my situation.

I have started working with a hotel and they had an old address/postcode so quite a lot of their citations needed updating/correcting.

Anyway, I got to Yalwa where the address was incorrect and the name was also missing a letter off the end and contacted them to ask for it to be updated, and it turns out that I can't because the listing has been claimed by Booking.com.

The link to 'Contact business' links to the hotels booking dot com page too.

To fix this incorrect information I now have to speak to Booking dot com to get them to change it, when in actual fact the listing shouldn't be owned by them in the first place, it should be owned by my client.

It just seems a little bit underhand to me.

I don't suppose anyone else has encountered this before?

Hi there,

I am a long time lurker here at Local Search Forum but I have finally decided to register, primarily because I have just come across something I was quite shocked by and I didn't know if this was common or unique to my situation.

I have started working with a hotel and they had an old address/postcode so quite a lot of their citations needed updating/correcting.

Anyway, I got to Yalwa where the address was incorrect and the name was also missing a letter off the end and contacted them to ask for it to be updated, and it turns out that I can't because the listing has been claimed by Booking.com.

The link to 'Contact business' links to the hotels booking dot com page too.

To fix this incorrect information I now have to speak to Booking dot com to get them to change it, when in actual fact the listing shouldn't be owned by them in the first place, it should be owned by my client.

It just seems a little bit underhand to me.

I don't suppose anyone else has encountered this before?

Hello there, i Was searching local search forum and came across your issue. I would like to add my opinion. Yalwa is not a high ranking directory, what you need to care about is the high 20 directories. Such as citysearch, yelp, yo u can find a good listing here for the Hotels https://moz.com/local/categories/category/Hotel
I would not worry about that incorrect listing, i am not sure if they were bought or related to book.com

I hope this information will help you

Hi Laura,

Welcome and thanks for bringing that up.

Yes, it's an issue Mike. I don't think companies that make money off bookings for a hotel, should be creating and claiming listings for a hotel they don't own, just so they can make more off the hotel.

Have you found any other listings they've done this to?

Hi Laura,

Welcome and thanks for bringing that up.

Yes, it's an issue Mike. I don't think companies that make money off bookings for a hotel, should be creating and claiming listings for a hotel they don't own, just so they can make more off the hotel.

Have you found any other listings they've done this to?

It is not an issue while the directory is not getting enough traffic. it could have been an issue if it was YELP ,but with yalwa you can get in and list any business yourself. it is more like a classified directory.

Yes but the directory or their traffic is not the point.

Would you be OK about it if someone was setting up listings for your business, that when to THEIR page, not to you? Then charged you per lead? The hotel should be the only one to set up a listing for their hotel. It's kind of like hijacking a listing.

Granted no traffic there, but it's the practice and principle that's wrong.

And if they did it once, they are likely doing it on other directories AND for other clients.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom