More threads by Linda Buquet

Linda Buquet

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
headspincreditflickr.jpg

Does Tracking Down Dupes Make your Head Spin???

OK so I'm not going to rehash everything again, but the post below explains how one by one all the Google tools that helped us do duplicate hunting and research as well as some types of spam research, have been taken away.

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-duplicates-merges/37798-rip-map-maker-phone-search-local-dupe-research-just-got-lot-harder.html">RIP Map Maker Phone Search - Local Dupe Research Just Got A Lot Harder</a>

After all the previous tools explained in that post were gone, and then phone search in map maker went MIA, that left 3 viable options: Michael Cottam's dupe research tool, direct Google search (with the right parameters) or Map Maker search. The problem with Map Maker being that it does not give you a link to the G+ L page where you can do more research, so you have to know how to find the CID and convert it to a G+ Local link. (Can you spell PIA?)

So then a week ago or so, the Google Places API, which is what Michael Cottam's tool uses, stopped returning a link to the G+ L page and only gave a maps link. So once again Google is trying to make it harder to get to that page.

<a href="http://www.localsearchforum.com/google-duplicates-merges/38231-one-more-nail-coffin-google-local-dupe-research-michael-cottams-tool.html">One more Nail in the Coffin for Google Local Dupe Research - Michael Cottam's Tool</a>

Pleper is another tool similar to Michael's, and also uses the API, so that tool got crippled up as well and would no longer show the link to the G+ L page.

Well luckily, stankolev the developer of Pleper is a member here, reads our forum and updates his software to adapt to our needs as Google keeps changing things. He programmed in a workaround. CHECK IT! We have G+ L links!

Pleper Duplicate Search

PleperDupes.jpg

So as you can see, it returns the map link AND the G+ L page link now.
Stan programmed in a fix. Thanks Stan!

But it gets even better. You can do regular keyword research to easily check competitor's G+ L pages out as well. Plus on each listing, you could check for dupes too if you needed to.

Pleper Search "Seattle Chiropractors"

PleperCompetition.jpg

At least for that search it perfectly matches the Local Finder results order too.

Note: Pleper has a free trial so what are you waiting for?

OK so back to the subject of dupe research, Pleper is still limited by the API. And the API, just like Google Search will filter out results that are too similar, so some dupes will still be hidden!

So must use Google search parameters that show filtered G+ L listings. Joy explains below.
Filter tip hardly anyone knows is CRITICAL!

1. Go to Google.com, search this string: "(512) 219-8999" "plus.google.com" "about" "review"
Adding "About" makes it so that you don't get a dozen results for every tab on the same page. For example, the post tab or the videos tab. This way you only get the same page once.

Adding "review" in the query eliminates all those non-verified brand/local + pages that don't matter.

2. Add & Filter=0 to the end of the search URL string
This is key for getting all of them. Google filters things that are too similar so they might filter 4 pages that "look" like the original.

NOTE: An easier way to accomplish the removal of the filter is just to hit the link at the bottom of the search page that says: " repeat the search with the omitted results included."

Sooooo using Queen Anne Chiropractic, the Pleper example in the 1st screenshot above...

Searching for: "(206) 282-8275" "plus.google.com" "about" "review" returns 2 results just like Pleper does via the API.

HOWEVER there are 2 more listings out there that Google search, Pleper & API are hiding.

So lets add the filter parameter to the end of that search URL.

Now Google search shows 4 listings for that practice. The practitioner listings for Graeme (a Chiro) and Meghan (a massage therapist) were filtered before. And guess what? I think Google would remove Meghan's listing because she's NOT a doctor. BUT guess what category is on her scraped listing? "Doctor"! 99% of consultants would never ever have found those 2.

FYI Queen Anne was my very 1st consulting client, like 5 years ago. They were always #1, then dropped to #37. I discovered dupes, killed the dupes and they jumped right back up to #1. I bet Graeme has been beating his head against the wall trying to figure out why they dropped so low again. He knows about the problems dupes can cause, but I'm sure he only searched in Google Maps, which only shows the main practice listing. So he likely has no idea about these other listings, much less my method for "minimizing them". Back when I worked with him, Google would still delete a practitioner dupe, but no more. I'll alert him to this post so he understands why his ranking dropped, since the average user would never be able to find these additional listings.

TL;Dr Use Stan's Pleper tool for a quick easy check and obvious links to the G+ page. BUT then use Joy's dupe search tip with filter parameter to be sure there are no others hiding out there.

Let me wrap by sharing VERY IMPORTANT words from Cody and Joy in the RIP Map Maker Phone Search thread. This follows Joy's tips for using Google search for the G+ L pages.

Awesome stuff here Joy! I hope that nobody reads this. Hehe. My guess is that tracking down and nuking GMB duplicates going forward will to be what separates the winners from the losers in many instances.

Old school for the win. Google continues to tare down software with so many tasks in our space. Can't say that it is on purpose. But it feels like automation is thwarted more and more.

Cody,

Couldn't agree more. Every time they make this crap more complicated a small part of thinks it will help my job security ;)
So bottom line: If you are a PRO and read every post in this forum, you may have seen us discuss the dupe tips above. BUT they are buried deep in several other threads. So 90% of Local Search Consults don't know these critical steps. Like Cody said - stuff like this is what can set you apart and helps you get results others can't!

So if you want to be a real Pro then read every post in this forum every day!
You would have already picked these tips up and put them to use a couple months ago and saved yourself from looking like that guy in the top pic. :p

headspincreditflickr.jpg

PleperDupes.jpg

PleperCompetition.jpg

Just had a great idea...

If you are ever in competition with another agency or consultant for a client...
Especially if it's a Dr, Dentist or Attorney and you discover dupe problems using the tips above.

If the client says: "You know I really like what you have to offer but am torn because XYZ Agency offers the same thing as you do and is a little less."

Explain how dupes are one of the main ranking problems. (Because you know he already has a problem.) Tell him as a test of competency to ask the other agency how many listings he has. Tell him not to build it up or explain the dupe/ranking problem. Tell him if they are true pros they should know this. Tell him to simply ask them how many listings they can find at that address and phone #.

(Then hope they are not some of the Pros that will read this post and know how to do a through search.) ;)

The day that I pay for a duplicate finder tool is the day one gets created that doesn't miss anything :)

Looks like everyone is on the site checking it out :) It's running a little slow at the moment, but I figure that's just us bombarding it with queries - Sorry Stan!!

I'll pop back on the site later today/tomorrow and see how it does. Looks great from what I saw though!

Hey Linda,

Thank you for the post :)

Actually in your example API doesn't return the other two listings because the names ( Meghan M. Vince, LMP AND Dr. Graeme Gibson, D.C. ) are very different from the search "Queen Anne Chiropractic Center", but both are at the same address and have the same number, Dr. Graeme Gibson, D.C. has even the same website, so they are easy to find. Just click on "Find duplicates for this place". It makes more and different searches and pull many listings, some of which are not duplicates but on the address, in close distance or have similarities.

Code:
Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center
+1 512-219-8999
1500 W 38th St #38, Austin, TX 78731, United States

Code:
Austin Spine and Disc
+1 512-520-0754
1500 W 38th St, Austin, TX 78731, United States

This one is hard to be found, and because of such cases, in the system have options to add alternative names/phone numbers/websites. Even there is a tool to search for alternative names : )

The day that I pay for a duplicate finder tool is the day one gets created that doesn't miss anything

This is my challenge and I take it : ) Will be glad to receive hard-to-find dupes to improve the system.

Looks like everyone is on the site checking it out It's running a little slow at the moment, but I figure that's just us bombarding it with queries - Sorry Stan!!

I'll pop back on the site later today/tomorrow and see how it does. Looks great from what I saw though!

It`s slow by default for now : ) For one search with 20 results Pleper makes around 45 requests to google. For an actual duplicate search things get worse. Keep calm and be optimistic : )

Hey Linda,
It`s slow by default for now : ) For one search with 20 results Pleper makes around 45 requests to google. For an actual duplicate search things get worse. Keep calm and be optimistic : )

From a system admin point of view, I can appreciate it being slowed down on the queries. More what my comment was regarding was the home page itself (before running the queries), and getting "500 Internal Error" notices which is why I figured we were pounding the server into the ground.

I've no problem with searches returning slow(er), and even from that end, I was able to execute a search just a bit ago and it returned quite fast - no issues there at all!

Everything is back at 100% speed again and the home page is responding without issues.

On a side note;
Using the tool I found that there was an active Google page for the previous tennant in our building. We edited the results page to state "permanently closed" (the owner retired), and within 10 minutes we received a notice from Google to say that they'd removed the listing and would take effect in 24 hours.

So a HUGE positive review from my end!!

Hey Linda,

Thank you for the post :)

Actually in your example API doesn't return the other two listings because the names ( Meghan M. Vince, LMP AND Dr. Graeme Gibson, D.C. ) are very different from the search "Queen Anne Chiropractic Center", but both are at the same address and have the same number, Dr. Graeme Gibson, D.C. has even the same website, so they are easy to find. Just click on "Find duplicates for this place". It makes more and different searches and pull many listings, some of which are not duplicates but on the address, in close distance or have similarities.

Duh, so sorry. My mistake. I was not comparing apples to oranges, those were different queries.

Not sure many can appreciate how much time and research a long detailed post takes when you are crippled with RSI. I finally just rushed to get it finished and that's what happens when I rush. Thanks for catching.

Don`t worry at all Linda, everything is just perfect :)

I don`t know why registration is so scary thing, but here is a demo account to see what happens inside the system :

Username : demo
Password : localsearchforum
Url for quick tour : Login | Pleper.com - local marketing tool

I`ve added Texas Spine and Sports Therapy Center for demonstration. It can not be deleted / edited (I think) :)

Conor I`m really happy Pleper help you. Problems will be fixed soon.

Thanks Stan,

I didn't know initial reg was required. I just go there and use it right away.
Maybe I regged before and forgot I did it. :eek:

Thanks Stan,

I didn't know initial reg was required. I just go there and use it right away.
Maybe I regged before and forgot I did it.

No no ... registration is not required to use the tool for dupe search.

The tool mentioned in your first post is something like a demo of Pleper. Yes you can search for duplicates, but you can`t add alternative names/phones/websites to search for, can`t use whole other functions/tools, and most important you do the search manual every time.

When you have a registration, add a place to the system and config alternative names/phones/website, after that everything happens automatically.

Depending on the plan, the system will make new search for duplicates every 5/15 days and if anything suspicious is found, will send you an email/notification (can be configured for which services - Google, Facebook, etc., and which email to be send to).

Even if you use only the tool, not the whole system, when logged, you can also search by type (https://developers.google.com/places/supported_types).

For example you can see top 40 dentist ordered by distance from entered address.

By google dev help :
This option biases search results in ascending order by their distance from the specified location

I've made an example for type=dentist search near 1905 Queen Anne Ave N, Seattle, WA 98109, United States

http://pleper.com/index.php?do=tools&sdo=dupe_search&example=1

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom