More threads by elen

elen

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

My company ranked very well on Google, we always appear #1 in 3-pack.
Sadly we have to move to new location and it's definitely going to affect our ranking. I have an option either to keep the same phone number or get the new one. I'm sure it's gonna be tons on duplicate/inconsistent listings after we move. I'm just trying to find the better way to reduce the damage and keep good ranking. I would be really happy to hear any opinion or advise. Thanks!

I would certainly keep the same phone number if you can. That'll be one less thing you have to worry about updating after the move. It's always best to keep NAP info the same as much as possible.

Thanks Joy! I read your guide and noticed you recommend to update the address in the citation after updating address on website and Google My Business. Other experts suggest to update the citations before making changes on GMB. What solution would be better in order to save ranking?

Do you think if I leave the same phone number it can create inconsistency in the citation (same business - different address)? How is it compared to listing with new phone number ( I meant if Google can see it as different business)?

Do you think if I leave the same phone number it can create inconsistency in the citation (same business - different address)? How is it compared to listing with new phone number ( I meant if Google can see it as different business)?

In any case you'll get inconsistency since you keep the "Name" but change another part of the NAP. Now if you don't change the phone number, you'll have less pain working with all those citation sites changing the phone number as well. Since some will require extra phone verification and so on..

That's what they are saying.

In addition to what everyone else has said, phone# is one of the prime identifiers for a biz. So if it's stays the same it would be a mature part of NAP. If that makes sense.

If you get new phone # it would be more like a brand new biz. I mean I know name will be the same. But keeping phone makes sense.

Hey Joy - on the other hand, if he keeps phone he could still have some of the ranking problems due to a closed listing with same name and phone.

AND the problem of the old closed listing maybe showing up in search, making it look like he's out of biz.

So I'm just curious if given the 2 things above, a clean break with a new # might make sense???
(Not sure, just raising the question.)

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

LocalU Webinar

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom