More threads by Chris Ratchford

Chris Ratchford

Administrator
Solutions
Reaction score
Hi, I have a client who decided to bring on another SEO/SEM agency (long story), and they want to add their own Google Analytics tracking code to the client's website.

Is this really necessary? Since I already have GA on the site (for over 3 years), I don't see the point. And I don't want to bloat the site any more.

Does this really matter or should I push to keep only one GA code and add the new agency as a user?

So he still wants the additional GA code... he didn't even know we already had GA code installed.

And he didn't know that we already have AdWords setup... which was setup years ago.

I called the client and spoke w/ the office manager and she's not sure why we need to add additional code and accounts.

Hey Chris,

I was able to get some more insight for you from a Google Analytics TC:

There's no problems with having multiple tracking codes on a site, so long as they are implemented properly. What needs to happen is that the tracking objects that are created need to be distinguished by the use of specific names. Also need to make sure that if there's cross-domain tracking between the parent site and the secondary site, then that's done correctly too.

Generally speaking, there's no problem at all. You can read more about that here: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1032400?hl=en

Nice find Colan. That is new to me. Thanks. I will admit that I don't see the advantage of 2 snippets over just adding them as a manager.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom