GradeUs banner  below header new
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Extreme(ist) Citation Building?

No such thing as bad press right?

Plumber sues Ford dealer after truck with company logo was used by extremists in Syria
    The Washington Post

The black Ford F-250 started life as a truck for a Texas-based plumbing company, carrying pipes, toilets and other ilk. But then it was sold to a Ford dealership in Houston, and after that shepherded off to parts unknown. Until, that is, it appeared as the focal point of a tweet from a supposed extremist last December.

2. Local Marketing Summit banner in thread
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Extreme(ist) Citation Building?

You'd think they'd paint over the logo before selling it off, but I guess that would have cut into their margins
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rohrback View Post
    You'd think they'd paint over the logo before selling it off, but I guess that would have cut into their margins
    The reason for the lawsuit is the dealership prevented the owner from peeling off the acrylic. The whole situation sucks for the plumber, but at least his NAP is consistent

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The article was from a year ago. The references to Name, phone number and city (the article doesn't reference street address)....have sometimes in the past been enough to push up SERP in the Pack if and when the source of the article, assuming it was written by the smb itself and linked back to the smb, and if there were elements to NAP (I've seen this in 2 circumstances and in both street address was not included....like this one).

(Last time I saw this phenomena though was a couple of years ago...and things change)

Basically...a mass of unstructured citations. In this case the smb is currently ranked 4th in the PAC for plumbers Texas City, and seems to be slightly West of where the top 3 in the PAC are situated.

This plumber doesn't even have a website, but who knows about the volume of past and old citations based on age (I haven't bothered to research).

From the perspective of the impact of media driven unstructured citations it would have been interesting to see where this plumber stood in the pact one year ago before the article. Did the unstructured citations help???? That would be the question.

Per the article, after the story the smb was crushed with crazy calls. But danged if it had pushed him into the pac and he had received a lot of leads....that would have been the upside.

People say all publicity is good. It could be if it pushes one from nowhere into the PAC.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    The article was from a year ago. The references to Name, phone number and city (the article doesn't reference street address)....have sometimes in the past been enough to push up SERP in the Pack if and when the source of the article, assuming it was written by the smb itself and linked back to the smb, and if there were elements to NAP (I've seen this in 2 circumstances and in both street address was not included....like this one).

(Last time I saw this phenomena though was a couple of years ago...and things change)

Basically...a mass of unstructured citations. In this case the smb is currently ranked 4th in the PAC for plumbers Texas City, and seems to be slightly West of where the top 3 in the PAC are situated.

This plumber doesn't even have a website, but who knows about the volume of past and old citations based on age (I haven't bothered to research).

From the perspective of the impact of media driven unstructured citations it would have been interesting to see where this plumber stood in the pact one year ago before the article. Did the unstructured citations help???? That would be the question.

Per the article, after the story the smb was crushed with crazy calls. But danged if it had pushed him into the pac and he had received a lot of leads....that would have been the upside.

People say all publicity is good. It could be if it pushes one from nowhere into the PAC.
    Wanted to edit this but couldn't find an option. A revision on the above:

I see the lawsuit is current. That does mean there is an option for the plumbers unstructured and partial NAP info could "fly around the web" via the media.

In fact subsequent to this potential secondary source of "massive" partial NAP info it will be possible to see if it affects this smb's ranking in the PAC.

That is an interesting experiment to follow!!!!!

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    You crack me up Dave. I wasn't expecting analysis in the break room

Google has gotten pretty good at recognizing brands and the fact there are mentions of the business name and the area might be enough for Google to make the connection (assuming he was on his SEO game prior to the cluster-f).

It could be a 'wait for it all to blow-over' situation. He's got local media coverage all the way up to international media coverage. But the fact he doesn't even have GMB claimed tells me he wasn't on his SEO game.

GMB listing: https://goo.gl/maps/yYj67tFoshN2
    He's literally my last result in the local finder for 'plumbing supply store houston tx' (his cat in GMB)

Lawsuit Filing

After it all blows over, I'd get a website and start emailing every news outlet to try and get some Mark-1 Plumbing anchor-texted links (and sip on some lemonade while doing it).

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

The guy doesn't have a web site and of course he hasn't claimed the site with google. I'd say we don't know if he is a plumber or plumbing supply company. I wouldn't take the google description or categorization on face value. Porch.com has a list of contracts he worked on. He could have been the main contractor or a sub. I dug deep and found 1 review about actual plumbing. The person was very unhappy. Based on the single real review and the list from porch I suspect he is a plumber and not a plumber supply shop (or maybe both).

Again, in the past I've seen the phenomena wherein massive media coverage wherein the articles reference part of NAP (in his experience Name, phone # and city) had an explosive impact on rankings in the Pack.

They are rare. How many small businesses get that kind of coverage??? Not many. Occasionally smb's "cause it" and often start with local media and ultimately national media or even international media pick it up. (Its good to work the media).

But since the law suit is new and this guy is getting a new round of coverage I'll be interested to see how he does in the Pack.

This morning I found him at 4 in the pack for "plumber Texas City" This afternoon, 5th in the Pack. The media references are for the smb as a plumber, not a plumber supply shop. I'm going to follow it.

From a management perspective as an smb I want local media coverage. If you can cause something to break bigger...its a gold mine in links and possibly for the pack.

This is a "living example".