More threads by JoshuaMackens

JoshuaMackens

Local Search Expert
Reaction score
I looked through the search function before I posted but couldn't find any sticky or master thread for duplicate issues.

I usually don't have duplicates so while I know the traditional course of action (which takes forever) I'm looking for a few tips to pick up. I have a client who has two duplicates. I reported them both. One is similar to his real G+L listing and after reporting it, I checked back and clicking "Manage this page" on the G+L now takes me to the Google Places dashboard for both the similar dupe and the real listing. The other duplicate is a duplicate in phone number only and hasn't been removed since I reported it two weeks ago.

It looks like G+L is trying to merge my two listings. Is this correct? If so, how long will it take? Is there a process to speed this up?

When will the duplicate in phone number only be gone? How can I speed this up? It's not even a real business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Josh, we have a whole section with tons of info here: Google Duplicates & Merges

In addition to using the search feature, always check the forum home page as most important topics like this one are broken into sub-forums to make it easier to find the info you need.

Hi Joshua,

How are you reporting the duplicates? Report a problem or the Troubleshooter?

For the duplicate with matching phone number, but that's it, you might want to explore having it marked closed as it's not really a duplicate listing if it's not for the same business.

Thanks.

---------- Post Merged at 12:24 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:23 PM ----------

Colan,

Report a problem. Have you found better success with the troubleshooter?

I will mark it closed. Thanks for the advice.

I believe both reporting methods wind-up at the same destination within Google. However, the troubleshooter has the added benefit of opening a direct line of communication with a Google staff member.

Great. I just put one in. Thanks.

How long do these issues take to resolve typically?

4 to 6 weeks depending on the situation. And, unfortunately there is always a chance of the duplicate coming back at some point down the road if whatever caused it still exists.

Hi Joshua,

How are you reporting the duplicates? Report a problem or the Troubleshooter?

For the duplicate with matching phone number, but that's it, you might want to explore having it marked closed as it's not really a duplicate listing if it's not for the same business.
Also Joshua it is important to note that duplicates are only features which are the same business feature. Ie. two Starbucks at the same address but one is named Local Starbucks and is missing the phone number. The two are duplicates of one another as they promote the same business entity.

Professional listings (doctors, lawyers, real estate agents, etc) are never duplicates of the business they work at even if it is a sole-proprietorship. What's unfortunate about Google's naming of these professional listings is they allow the business name to be added. This allows business names sometimes to supplant the professional's name and essentially hijack the listing from a professional one to a business listing.

Why is this a problem? Since Google doesn't allow name changes by policy (you have to create a new listing when you change a name) and professionals are allowed to co-exist with a business listing the bots may try and feed information to that professional listing which was created and in turn it could change the data on the main listing. I have seen it happen many times and it requires Places Support to fix the issue.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom