More threads by russofford

Reaction score
Hi,

So, over the years the rules have obviously changed in regards to how to go about moving a business in GMB.

An unclaimed listing existed for my client's business at an old mailing address, old phone number, and slightly incorrect business name (INC vs LLC).

I tried to claim that and change the data to the correct NAP for the company, however, at the very end of the process, I requested the postcard and Google forced me to either send the postcard to the old address (using the outdated company data) or create a new page.

At this point, in order to get the postcard, I chose to create the new listing. Now that the listing is verified, the old AND new listings now exist. I assumed that Google would have known to overwrite the old data, but I was wrong.

So, in retrospect... should I have attempted to change the NAP data in the unverified listing via Google Maps / Google Mapmaker edits BEFORE attempting to claim it via a GMB dashboard?

Does anyone have any current tricks to get the 'old' listing removed rather than simply marking it as 'closed'? For example, now that it is a 'duplicate', could I try to edit the old listing data via Mapmaker and when the data all matches the new listing, mark it as duplicate?

Thanks,

Russ Offord

So, in retrospect... should I have attempted to change the NAP data in the unverified listing via Google Maps / Google Mapmaker edits BEFORE attempting to claim it via a GMB dashboard?

Does anyone have any current tricks to get the 'old' listing removed rather than simply marking it as 'closed'? For example, now that it is a 'duplicate', could I try to edit the old listing data via Mapmaker and when the data all matches the new listing, mark it as duplicate?

Hi Russ, updating it in Maps/Map Maker most likely would not have worked because the Map Maker rules for when an unverified business listing moves is to report it closed and create a new POI for the business at the new address. So the edit would be denied by Google or a Regional Lead.

Getting rid of the closed listing will be tricky but can be done. Occasionally, Google support will merge them, but it's hit or miss. Technically, it's not supposed to be removed or merged.

First build out your new profile thoroughly. We find the claimed and robust profile usually wins. The old profile won't go away but it will generally stop displaying in search. You'll still be able to see it because you have the url, but searchers won't. Eventually...

We have had good success going through support. The domestic support team is definitely more flexible and willing to go off script. But its kind of a crap shoot.

I would not mark it as closed, because its not closed. That could backfire and leave you dealing with it for months.

I remember reading an article from Joy once, where she had a similar situation, and she tried to keep the old GMB profile, because she found it ranked better than a new one.

I have a similar situation, and I created a new one, but, when I did that, they really dropped in rankings. I would try to keep the old one and fix it if you can.

You cannot claim a location for which a business does not exist and them edit the location. That's against the rules and not a great idea. Best to ensure it has the information for the business when it stopped operations at the old location.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom