More threads by Christa Morgante

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm not sure if this is new or if anyone else has seen this, but recently I noticed main business listings and the corresponding practitioner listings marked as duplicate addresses in the GMB dashboard. -- 2016-01-27_1326 - ChristaMo's library -- I find this strange since GMB guidelines forces us to create/claim practitioner listings, and I haven't seen GMB mark these like this before.

I called GMB support to make sure everything was okay and the rep I spoke with told me it was. I didn't really get any detailed information as to why it would be showing the status as such, but wanted to let you guys know, just in case you experience the same thing.

I did some research and see that both listings are performing normally, so it does seem like what the rep told me is true. However, I did want to see if anyone else has experienced issues with this? I'm curious too, if this may mean we will see some changes in GMB regarding practitioner listings soon? Maybe it's just a bug. Who knows. Just talking (typing) about loud :) All feedback welcome. Thanks in advance!

Interesting Christa. Thanks for sharing. Hope it means a change is coming!

I find this strange since GMB guidelines forces us to create/claim practitioner listings

Google does not make you create or claim practitioner listings. Ideally you typically don't want to do either due to the ranking problems it usually causes.

Google will usually scrape and create them, but you don't have to claim. Just minimize them by doing user edits. I explained how in the training you took plus have a public post about how to do it and the things you need to edit to avoid ranking problems. It's pinned to top of the duplicates and merges section of the forum.

Oops sorry had not looked at image.

Now that I see it, I don't think it's marking THE LISTING as a dupe. You are in locations view, so it's just alerting you to the fact there are dupe addresses in case you made a mistake on one location. (I think it's assuming multi-location listings since you are in locations view.)

I think Linda is correct! I am going to check with Google just to make sure.

Very true, Linda. I realize you don't need to claim or create them (shouldn't have said that GMB forces you), and definitely use the technique to minimize them as you outline in your training. It just depends on the client whether or not I find it useful to claim it and have full control.

I see what you mean about GMB just alerting you that is has the same address and that would definitely make sense especially if it's assuming they have multiple locations. Never saw that before, so just wanted throw it out there! Thanks!

It looks like it is marked as a duplicate because the address and phone number are the same. Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought addresses and phone numbers had to be different in order for G to treat them as separate businesses, even if its a practitioner?

We typically add a suite number or use the direct line for the practitioner so the information doesnt show as a dupe.

It looks like it is marked as a duplicate because the address and phone number are the same. Correct me if Im wrong, but I thought addresses and phone numbers had to be different in order for G to treat them as separate businesses, even if its a practitioner?

We typically add a suite number or use the direct line for the practitioner so the information doesnt show as a dupe.

Hi Brian,

The address and phone number can be the same in these situations. A unique phone number is reccomended, but often is not the case.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom