Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question Some Yext and Google+ Categories Aren't Synced

We set up our Google My Business Power Listings in Yext to sync and Yext overwrote my Google+ Categories.

The problem here is that some of categories that Google+ has are not picked up by Yext.

For example, Internet Marketing is available in Google+ but not Yext.
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Some Yext and Google+ Categories Aren't Synced

I will get you an answer on this post haste! Coming soon...
    Raj
    VP, Community Yext
    Email: Raj@Yext.com
    Tweet: @rajnijjer
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I spoke with Yext Partner Support today about this issue. I am told that before you sync your Google assets to the Yext Power Listing, not and check that your Google categories are part of your Yext profile. If you don't see your Google category in Yext, email partnersupport@yext.com with the category.

They will add it manually to the Yext list of categories, then notify you via email. At that point, you must add that category to your profile within Location Manager, then setup/sync your Google My Business profile within Power Listings.

The only thing I don't get here is how to set your primary Google My Business category since Yext overrides any setup you may have already done with your listing within Google My Business. Should we just forget using this sync option altogether? I was so pumped on the idea of complete synchronization of categories and information across all of these networks! Dratts?

Also, note that the search function in Power Listings isn't picking up the Google Property, so you need to scroll down to find it.

yext google search.pdf
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I am glad you got to speak to our support team!

To summate for the forum, Yext has its own category list which we map back to the categories for all of the publishers in our network. The category names we provide may not match exactly with the name on every publisher--for example, we have the category "barbecue restaurant" and publishers may show it as "BBQ restaurant" or "BBQ food" or "Bar-b-que shack". That said, we do all of the work for you to ensure that the categories we show are mapped to the similar category on each publisher. If you don't see that specific category name, choose the Yext category that is most similar, and more than likely, you will find we've mapped it back to that specific publisher category.

For Google, Yext sends categories to Google in order of priority. So, the top category you have on Yext will be set as your primary category on Google. You'll be happy to hear you can still execute your vision of "complete synchronization of categories and information across all of these networks" from just one place.

We put a lot of effort into constantly re-evaluating our category list to ensure that we have the most popular categories in our taxonomy. However, on very rare occasions, there may be individual categories available on a given publisher that are not shown in the Yext category list--often because they are not prevalent across the entire network. Should you find this, please contact support@yext.com and put in a request for the given category and we will review your suggestion for inclusion into our category list and at a minimum, ensure that you are showing up for the category you requested on that given publisher.

In regards to the Search function, I will look into the use case. As always, happy to help and you reach me directly at raj@yext.com!

Raj
    VP, Community Yext
    Email: Raj@Yext.com
    Tweet: @rajnijjer
    Advanced reply Reply