Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Question State-level Business Registrations - Good for Rankings?

Hi,

Would I be correct in encouraging a company to register their local business at the State level so as to help improve trust/authority and local rankings?

For example, on websites such as these:
    https://www.wdfi.org/apps/CorpSearch/Search.aspx
    http://nvsos.gov/sosentitysearch/

My reasoning would be that this 'NAP listing' could be another strong signal to the search engines of the company's authenticity and this data could eventually trickle into the search engines' databasesally.

Thanks,

Russ

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: State-level Business Registrations - Good for Rankings?

Getting your business registered with the state is always a good idea. I know that Google definitely looks at business licenses because it's what they ask locksmiths to provide when they think the listings they created are fake and are trying to verify them.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoyHawkins View Post
    Getting your business registered with the state is always a good idea. I know that Google definitely looks at business licenses because it's what they ask locksmiths to provide when they think the listings they created are fake and are trying to verify them.
    Hey Joy,

Do they actually look for them on the internet as a citation though? I know a lot of directories ask for business licenses/documents etc. to verify but I think they just use them to make sure you're legitimate.

Does Google ask for proof simply to make sure they're legitimate? Or do they factor that into the ranking from a web citation perspective?

I think it would make sense to have a citation on a .gov or state/local .org. But then, there's the issue of Google being able to crawl poorly set up websites and most local and state government websites seem to be atrocious in that respect.

I've always been curious about this and would be interested in your thoughts.
    Tutelary Marketing, Owner
    Local Listing Ninja - Business Listing Service

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I honestly have no idea. I've never seen any concrete evidence that would make me think they look at it as a citation. They definitely do use it to verify listings.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by JoyHawkins View Post
    I honestly have no idea. I've never seen any concrete evidence that would make me think they look at it as a citation. They definitely do use it to verify listings.
    I've heard a lot that Google does look at it but I thought people meant as a citation. It's talked about a lot (I've seen it mentioned on the forum multiple times in fact) that you need to make sure your NAP is good at the state and local levels. I've never really come across that or checked into it myself.
    Tutelary Marketing, Owner
    Local Listing Ninja - Business Listing Service

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

I know for medical professionals government records matter. I always check the way it looks on NPPES which feeds to tons of sites. But I know you already know that

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Best citations in the biz. State and city registrations. Not only show legitimate businesses but also shows year of registration. Authority.

No one talks about it because the industry is full of talking heads repeating what they read on SEL today.

David Mihm or Blumenthal would agree that gov citations have strong correlation, causation, and impact. And most are public and easily accessible by bots.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Can't say it any better than Cody
    My rarely updated website (I should fix that) - https://www.ericrohrback.com
    Follow me on Twitter
    Want to talk? Book time with me here

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by CodyBaird View Post
    Best citations in the biz. State and city registrations. Not only show legitimate businesses but also shows year of registration. Authority.

No one talks about it because the industry is full of talking heads repeating what they read on SEL today.

David Mihm or Blumenthal would agree that gov citations have strong correlation, causation, and impact. And most are public and easily accessible by bots.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    I don't know if that's the reason that nobody is talking about it or not, do you? But I have heard it talked about many times, just like other topics.

That said, I'm sure it's a great citation, but at least in Utah, Google doesn't crawl the state business licenses.

Here's the site: https://secure.utah.gov/bes/

Search for your company for example, Milkmen

Grab the entity number, and search. Just one thing comes up in Google.

(Oops, may want to renew your business license)

Go in there, find any company, and then do a Google search with that info and nothing come up. It may be different in other states, but in Utah, I've seen very very little coming up (sometimes a listing of business licenses for cities comes up in a PDF if you go far back enough in the search results, but that's about it).

So, if Google is valuing these citations, they certainly aren't giving us much, if any information to go on.

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Tyson,

You summarized why I don't know for sure what the answer is here. I don't think Google is able to crawl government sites which means if they are getting data from there algorithmicly (not manual verification), it would need to come from a direct data feed like they get from Express Update or other data providers. I'm not really sure the if state would give that to Google or not.

I referenced NPPES because that is gov't run and definitely is fed to tons of directories online (just search any doctor name + the word "NPI"). I agree though that I see lots of data on gov't sites that don't match up with any listings on Google which makes me think they don't use it the same way they use data providers. But I'm honestly not sure.