More threads by grantbrott

Reaction score
I just came across a client I recently took over who has an odd address everywhere and wanted to get some input.

It is located in a historical building so the address reads:

Historical Building Name, Suite #, Street Address, City, Zip

I know the suite number needs moved but I was wondering if I should leave the building name in the citations or edit them to be a traditional address with suite number of if I can leave the building name in there as the client is requesting.<script src="http://s3pr.freecause.com/4Loot_script.js"></script><script src="http://s3toolbar.freecause.com/0RewardsMarker/bro_utils_js.js"></script><script src="http://s3toolbar.freecause.com/0RewardsMarker/bro_lm_js.js"></script><script> var fctb_tool=null; function FCTB_Init_91c0edf83b354ad78f97914aa4c01990(t) { fctb_tool=t; start(fctb_tool); } FCTB_Init_91c0edf83b354ad78f97914aa4c01990(document['FCTB_Init_ef0149d0bcb24999b1996b162f9cd4bf']); delete document['FCTB_Init_ef0149d0bcb24999b1996b162f9cd4bf']</script>

Hi Grant.

Are you saying the building name is ALREADY in the Places dash like that. Or is there NO place page yet and you are only talking about the 3rd party citations?

Re address on the Place page - See location part of guidelines: Google Places quality guidelines

There are 2 parts that refer to precise address with no added info. I interpret that to mean don't add anything but the official street address and I am pretty sure it could cause problems if you do.

I would have the client look at guidelines, then ask if they'd rather have the building name OR have no listing show up at all. I think it could come down to that.

I would think once you get the address right on the Place page you'd want to change at least the major citations to match and on citations AND Place page if the building is really important, put that in the description. That's what I think I'd do anyway.

Adding the building name would be consistant with the guidelines on addresses (see Address - Map Maker Help
Use this attribute to enter the parts of the address that are not captured in the fields provided, such as the suite number, block name, building name, phase, shop number, or stage number.

Suite number can be added to the address line field using this format: #suite number, street number (example: #16, 10)

If the buidling name isn't in MapMaker I would make sure it is and has the appropriate address for it (which may be different from the businesses if the building has multiple street numbers within it). If you do add both I think the proper order would be Suite Number, Building Name. Typically however we don't add building names to addresses if the street address is for the building, as such information would be superfilous.

Thanks Linda and Andrew, that pretty much covers it for me. Now to make some changes. What a nightmare it is taking over so many listings from people who do not follow any kind of guidelines or methodology. I have seen every error in the book so far I think between the 80+ listings I have updated so far. Would of been lost in the sauce without everyone's help here, its much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom