Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Need feedback on your favorite data aggregator - don't be shy...

Name:  vote.png
Views: 125
Size:  2.9 KB
    I recently read an article by Alex Dorfman on Search Engine Land and he says that location data is becoming the foundation for local & mobile search and brands are just realizing that data aggregators such as Localeze, Infogroup, Acxiom & Factual can be powerful partners. This made me think about the data aggregators and I wondered, is any one better than others, or are they all equally important. hmmmm...

I thought I would ask my fellow local search forum members what they thought so here goes:

1.If you had to choose (1) one data aggregator to submit to, what one would it be?

2.Why?

3.How would you rank them from 1 to 4. # 1 being the best?

Just curious, plus I am looking for data to put in an upcoming article called “Things My Friends Say About Data Aggregators and you won’t believe #3!”
    Bernadette Coleman, CEO of Advice Local
    Join me in the “Advice Local – Local Search Solutions” forum.
    Advice Local provides Local Digital Marketing Software Solutions.
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: Need feedback on your favorite data aggregator - don't be shy...

Good question, Bernadette! Looking forward to reading everyone's feedback.
    Join our forum! Agencies, brands and channel partners use our technologies to win local clients. Add our suite to your arsenal and leave the rest to us!
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Need feedback on your favorite data aggregator - don't be shy...

Hi Bernadette,

Not sure if you saw this already, but a week or two ago Whitespark released the initial results of a little side-by-side comparison they did that you might be interested in.

The stats breakdown is on slide 69 if you want to skip straight to that. For this limited test at least, Infogroup had the most impact with 10 indexed citations after 4 months, localeze had 4, acxiom had 1, and factual had 0.

For me personally, for my clients I hit the big 4 through moz local, and then do the rest of my citation building manually based on my own list I come up with based on the city and industry. The 4 aggregators are most useful to the extent they help change things on sites downriver that are challenging to change manually... since I hit them all at once with Moz, I don't know that I think that hard about which I like best though.
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Bernadette,

A bit of a loaded question! Here's some non-answer answers:

(1) I don't think we'd pick just one, and it also depends on what the main purpose of the citation is. Most of the directory sites out there get data from one (or more) of these 4, and if you're information isn't right on all four, it's highly likely that this incorrect info is being propagated to other directory sites.

(2) In terms of ease-of-use, we did do a study of many popular sites last year - you can see them at Citation (expressupdate is Infogroup, FYI).

(3) Also, "best" is very subjective. Do you mean quality of listings? Duplicates? Price (if you are going to license their content)? They all have different strengths and weaknesses. We particularly like Factual's API - they are the only one of the four that make their data accessible via an API. But in terms of duplicates and out of business listings still showing up, they are likely the worst of the four. Just as examples.

How's that for not answering any of your questions? :-)

Regards,
    Scott
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bernadette Coleman View Post
    Name:  vote.png
Views: 125
Size:  2.9 KB
    I recently read an article by Alex Dorfman on Search Engine Land and he says that location data is becoming the foundation for local & mobile search and brands are just realizing that data aggregators such as Localeze, Infogroup, Acxiom & Factual can be powerful partners. This made me think about the data aggregators and I wondered, is any one better than others, or are they all equally important. hmmmm...

I thought I would ask my fellow local search forum members what they thought so here goes:

1.If you had to choose (1) one data aggregator to submit to, what one would it be?

2.Why?

3.How would you rank them from 1 to 4. # 1 being the best?

Just curious, plus I am looking for data to put in an upcoming article called “Things My Friends Say About Data Aggregators and you won’t believe #3!”
    1) InfoUSA/ExpressUpdate - it would be difficult for anyone to change my mind on this one.

2) The #1 thing is their distribution list. It seems to be massive compared to their competitors. They submit to some of the biggest players out there like Yahoo (I think also Google?). They submit to sites you can't get on yourself, like Yahoo, Citysearch, Insiderpages, 411.com, switchboard.com, etc.

They are also extremely responsive. They have phone support you can call and actually get something done about your issues. They also answer email pretty quickly as well.

Coming in last is their ease of use and the fact that they are free. While these aren't qualities to sniff at, I put them last because I wouldn't let ease of use or money stand in my way if it was the most important data aggregator (unless it was astronomically expensive).

3) I would rank them:

• ExpressUpdate/InfoUSA
    • Acxiom
    • Localeze
    • Factual

Acxiom - I rank them 2nd because their distribution list seems to be higher than Localeze. I see them on more websites at the footer.

Localeze - Maybe they aren't less prominent than Acxiom and they just don't allow sites to put "Information by Localeze" often. I've seen a few cases of their info on a site footer though, so I don't think that seems to be the issues. They just seem to have a smaller distribution list.

Factual - New player, long wait time if doing the free option (30-60 days I believe), and I am purely guessing here but I imagine their distribution list is smaller.

Hope that helps!
    Tutelary Marketing, Owner
    Local Listing Ninja - Business Listing Service
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

ExpressUpdate would definitely be #1. I continually see them as being the strongest source Google looks at.

2. Acxiom

3. Factual

4. Localeze (I might push this to 3rd if there were issues on Bing or Apple Maps that needed correcting).
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

James, thanks for your comment and link to the deck. Citation building is a very important component in addition to the data aggregators. It will be interesting to see what the outcomes are based everyone's feedback in Bernadette's article.
    Join our forum! Agencies, brands and channel partners use our technologies to win local clients. Add our suite to your arsenal and leave the rest to us!
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Joshua, all good comments and points. Thanks for adding your insights to the thread.
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Joy, thanks for participating in the thread and all you do for the industry.
    Advanced reply Reply  

Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Received)

Scott, your NOT answers seem like answers to us. Keep 'em coming.
    Advanced reply Reply