More threads by JoyHawkins

JoyHawkins

Administrator
Local Search Expert
LocalU Faculty
Top Poster Of Month
Solutions
Reaction score
Thought this would make a good discussion.

Let's say you are working with an auto insurance agent who has 2 offices in Chicago and their site currently is targeting the same keyword for both location pages ("Auto Insurance Chicago").

Zip codes don't get searched very often so how would you go about delivering the best ROI and not making these pages compete with each other?

Any chance they are in different "neighborhoods" or communities? If not, maybe you could target a variation of a term for each. Good question though.

I don't think it will be an issue. Google gives extra weight for results based off of customer location. The listing that is closest to the customer will be shown higher.

Great question Joy!

Luckily I've never been in the situation, but always wondered how to deal with it so they wouldn't just be competing with each other.

Part of the answer hopefully resolves on its own. With mobile searches which account for a large percentage, the user is the centroid, so hopefully they would get the office closest to them. But other than that I'm not sure, so would love to hear from others.

I don't think it will be an issue. Google gives extra weight for results based off of customer location. The listing that is closest to the customer will be shown higher.

I know that's definitely true on mobile but on computers it's not weighted as heavily. Especially if the user put a city in their search query (Ex: Auto Insurance Chicago). I've also found Google will filter pages for big brand's locations if they are all too similar and targeting the same keywords.

The neighborhood idea is a good one! My only fear with that is that neighborhoods are also not searched too frequently (like zip codes).

Has anyone ever tried targeting different keywords per location? Ex: target "home insurance chicago" for location A and "auto insurance chicago" for location B?

The neighborhood idea is a good one! My only fear with that is that neighborhoods are also not searched too frequently (like zip codes).

Has anyone ever tried targeting different keywords per location? Ex: target "home insurance chicago" for location A and "auto insurance chicago" for location B?

The neighborhood recommendation is a good one.

Do each office offer the same or different specialties? If they are both the same, I would probably focus more on building out nice office pages and use those as your citation URLs.

Instead of having /chicago-location & /chicago-location-2 maybe name them by neighborhood.

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom