More threads by Colan Nielsen

Colan Nielsen

Administrator
LocalU Faculty
Solutions
Reaction score
Curious if anyone has experience working with subdomains. Specifically, what are the best practices and considerations around setting up things like Google Analytics, adding remarketing tags, Call Rail?

Subdomains are treated like a separate domain as you probably know.

I only use them for setting up a development site before pushing new site live to domain. Nothing different about the setup from a regular domain.

Looks like this elevenplates.onesecondrack.com for the development wp environment. We set up call rail, analytics etc all the same way on dev site. Then plugins and GA migrate when we push live from subdomain of onesecondrack.com (our hosting) to elevenplates.com to go live with new site.

I always migrate blog.example.com to example.com/blog

I can't say I remember doing anything different on subdomain using wordpress but I could be missing something that my 2 devs are covering my tracks on

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Curious if anyone has experience working with subdomains. Specifically, what are the best practices and considerations around setting up things like Google Analytics, adding remarketing tags, Call Rail?

For GA, you need to setup cross domain tracking and need to make sure that is shows the full URL (blog.site.com/article vs. /article). I would recommend just using GTM as it makes GA/remarketing tags easy to deploy and change.

Last edited:

Login / Register

Already a member?   LOG IN
Not a member yet?   REGISTER

LocalU Event

Trending: Most Viewed

Promoted Posts

New advertising option: A review of your product or service posted by a Sterling Sky employee. This will also be shared on the Sterling Sky & LSF Twitter accounts, our Facebook group, LinkedIn, and both newsletters. More...
Top Bottom